Health insurance

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imbrium

Jennifer
Reaction score
so I was thinking, with how quickly a sick rabbit can rack up vet bills, pet health insurance for my two little ones might be a good idea. I poked around google, but only found one company (VCI) that offers it and a lot of articles about why to get it with links to where... except the "where" links just took me around in circles to more stuff about why *facepalm*

are there other pet health insurance companies that cover bunnies? (would be nice to be able to comparison shop!)

also, does anyone here actually HAVE health insurance for their bunns (or any other pets) that they'd recommend (or recommend avoiding)?

(I've got a purebred Holland lop and purebred lionhead - both babies, both unspayed (will be spayed once they're of age), no pre-existing conditions for either and I live in the US)

I have too many animals for insurance to make sense. I set aside money into savings each month to cover health bills for them. That way it doesn't matter who gets sick, I can use it. If you only have two it might make sense.

well, I've just got the two, and I've got savings... but when they've got their whole lives ahead of them, the chances of coming out ahead paying premiums vs coughing up a lump-sum in an emergency seem pretty good. (especially with how over-protective I am of them)

Just check what the insurance covers. I know for cats and dogs it was shocking how the majority of what would be needed was not covered in the policy I looked at for my cats. Reading the fine print is very important. :)

Being over protective is not a bad thing with rabbits, it saves money in the end as well. For example, Sophie peed on the floor a couple weeks ago, and did it again 20 minutes later. Once could be an accident, but twice? Something was up. I was able to catch a bladder infection early by being over protective. Two weeks of antibiotics and now she's fine. Who knows what would have happened if I let it go until it was worse.

Latest posts

Back