Health Concern

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LedaHartwood

Reaction score
Both my boyfriend and I have a cold from doing our halloween show. I use to own ferrets, and know that you shouldn't make too much contact with them when you have a cold. Can that same be said for rabbits? I don't recall being sick around Natasha or Lavender......

I don't want to deprive the bunnies of cuddle time just because we have a cold......

But I do have the wee ones to think about. Three weeks old after all. (Has it only been three weeks 0.o )

I think it's extremely rare but possible. To be safe just wash your hands and make sure you don't allow the bunnies to injest any body fluids (like snot :yuck) and don't sneeze directly on them.

Rabbits are one of the least likely mamals to pass on or receive zoonotic illnesses. :)

Cuddle away! (Just carefully).

sas:bunnydance:

A human cold cannot be transmitted to a rabbit whereas it can to guinea pigs, hamster and ferrets.
What can be transmitted to rabbits is herpes simplex.
I still wouldn't sneeze on the rabbit just because it's gross :grumpy:nor put a snotty nose on his face. it's just good hygiene to wash hands and keep body fluids to yourself whether infectious or not.
if a person has a cold sore on their lips and smother the bun with kisses..bunny could get encephalitis which is deadly :shock:

Thank you, she was a cali that I rescued, along with her mix bun friend, Natasha.

A man had left the both in the trunk of his car, in a black dog taxi. They were without food and water for months. How they surived, I'll never know. A PetCo took the pair, and we adopted them from there. Lavender died of kidney failure, due to her poor life before us. Natasha followed a few months later. They were with us for nearly a year. I miss them. Worst part is that I don't think I have any photos of them. They were beautiful girls, and I miss them.

I'm sorry I thought that you still had Lavendar :(

Same situation happened with my bun Gabriel who I had PTS last July. In June 2007 a man found a little white bunny in his driveway and brought him to our shelter; it had been extremely hot for a few weeks. he was so thin and dehydrated that they let me take him home and foster him. I remember that day that he felt like a little piece of paper; he was so dry.

I decided to adopt him. he gained weight and his lab values went back to normal. then somewhere around last spring he started to lose weight while still eating a lot and also was always sitting in urine. When I took him he was in total renal failure.

I dealt with that condition with my previous dog (giving IV 's etc) and decided i was not going to put Gabriel through that as his quality of life was not good anyway. he was very weak.

I tried to learn what had occured and learned that sometimes when the kidneys are damaged early they will function normally for awhile but then give out.. Sounds like that happened to yours also. it is very sad.

100_0572.jpg

Gabriel was beautiful..Geez this pic makes me sad :(

Latest posts

Back