Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaspberrySwirl

Reaction score
Just a very simple,quick question - I've been buying Timothy Hay at Walmart or the petstore, in the little plastic bags, but I need to change over to bulk. Ican't seem to find readily available, freshly grown/cut Timothy hayaround here (Kansas).Does anyone know how Brome and Prairiehay compare to Timothy hay, as those are my most availableoptions?

Hi RaspberrySwirl,

Either one is fine in comparision to Timothy.

Some of our English friends can't get Timothy Hay and must resort todifferent types of grasshays. Brome and Prairie are just a differenttype of grass as you're aware, and Sebastian shouldn't have any problemswitching over to either type.

Ask if it's just straight Brome or Prairie or if some different fescues are mixed in.

As always, make sure you're getting good stock when buying in bulk or by the bale. Keep an eye out for mold and bugs.

-Carolyn

For any UK people, Pets at Home are doing TimothyHay... so if you prefer Timothy Hay, that's where to go. Maxand Henry eat anything they get their hands on but I like the thickTimothy Hay best. :)

Hi Raspberry,

HankHanky responded saying that brome is fine as well, but as perusual, he was cutting and sarcastic so I deleted the post. I can'tallow him to turn, yet another, perfectly innocent question and turn itinto an argument.

In the end, hopefully you won't have to apologize for asking a question.

-Carolyn

Dennis, if you have issue with that, take it up with me privately. Youhave my address. Let the people on this board have peace without yourrancor. How many different ways must we say it to you?

Believe me, I find disagreeing with you or clarifying something thatyou said quite boring. Discuss this privately or not at all on thisforum. I am not out to get you as you think everyone is.

Delphinum, thanks for letting us know about Petsat Home stocking Timothy Hay. It's so hard to get here. i used to buyit on-line, but it works out really expensive, plus the fact that Inever was in when it was delivered and had to go to the depot to pickit up. I will now go to Pets at Home. Thanks again.- Jan

Dennis,

You don't have the guts to contact me personally. Instead, you wish to put these people through this nonsense.

I'm home, Dennis, right now. Call me up. You know how to get my number.

I apologize to the board for this. We are handling this. One must givesomeone enough of rope so that they will hang themselves.

I'm sorry, RaspberrySwirl, for this occurence on your post.

-Carolyn

12_1_214.gif

Oh dennis your beheiving like a child, grow up.

It was an innocent question so quit the sarcasm and concentrate onactuallycaring for your own rabbits. I am not out to get youin any way, just please try to keep our forum a happy one.

Have a nice day;)

I can make bettercow noises than both of you because I went to the fairyesterday and now am an experienced cow-sound-moo-maker!:)AND I ask some HAY people about hay, but that did verylittle for me....they basically said the same thing that Dennis andCarolyn have told me. Brome and Prairie would both be fine. It seemsthe majority leans toward Brome, though I'm not sure if there is areason, but the one man I spoke to who knew hay and knew a little aboutrabbits said he knew rabbits preferred Timothy and didn't know how wellthey'd eat Brome.....Soooooo......it will be trial and error, I amsure.

You know RasberrySwirl, we don't have timothyeither except the Kaytee Brand in the pet store, and the stuff I'vegotten from them hasn't always been very good. Down here inTexas all we have is Bermuda Coastal and my rabbits hate it.I bought a bale for them and it ended up as a bed for mycats!!! They wouldn't touch it. A lot of rabbitbreeder sights I've been to have recommended Oxbow brand Timothyhay. They are an online company, but may have a retailer inyour area. Their website iswww.oxbowhay.com. I willbe ordering some hay from them on payday. I will let you knowhow it turns out.

Dawn

Dawn, I just wentand looked at that website. They had info on their Brome also. It saidthat Timothy and Brome have basically the same nutritional value. Andthe cool thing was, when I did the retailer search to find where theoxbow hay was sold, it was at the same specialty vet that didSebastian's neutering! She is the only one around here that I even knowof that works primarily with small animals. I will call her tomorrowand ask her about the hay thing. Thanks for the tip! It worked outwell!

Raspberry

Are you challenging me to a cow noises duel?

Word of advice, dont even go there. Ive been learning farm animal noises for as long as i can remember so i would so win.

That's great!!! All the retailersaround me are still @ 2 hours away, and when I asked my father-in-lawto get some for me, he got the wrong stuff!!!! It figures.All he heard was Timothy hay...he got the Kaytee brand...when I askedhim if they had the oxbow he said all he did was ask for the timothyhay and that's what they brought him!!! :?Oh well, next timeI'm in Austin I will look, but I am definitely going to order some,being out in the boondocks, it is sometimes easier to order online thanto get my babies ready and drive over an hour anywhere!!!

Dawn

Back