Hay, I've Got a Pee Problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
I keep a bale of hay in my bathtub in a big rubbermaid. (Thanks Dawn!)

I've been neglectful and didn't realize the stack hadshrunk enough for Dill and (especially) Sherry, to climb up there and happily munch away.

And poop and pee. :pssd:

Now hay is an ongoing problem here.We have to get it from out in the country, I don't have a car. The guy that got me the last bale has a pickup truck, he's rarely available,and it's now rainy season, it's not going to happen. (I've also been off work for a year, needless to say I'mvery poor!)

So... I need to use as much of the hay as I can.

Surely they'll recognize the pee spots (seeing as it's there's) and avoid those spots? Will it be a huge insult (or health risk) to the other bunnies if theyend up with a fewSherry spots?How careful should I be? Do I have to throw away half the remaining stack? :tears2:

sas :yuck

I can't say for sure, but I don't think they'll eat the bad stuff. I would rinse it good before feeding it - then it would be moist so it might be ok.

Sure wish you were close - I'd give you a new bale!

I would think they'd avoid the soiled parts. I'm concerned those spots could mold? Then you have a health concern. That's the only thing I can think of not to use it.

Maybe separate the bottom of it out, that should still be good, right? I would not want to throw it all out, no way, not in your situation. I'd be using every last bit I could;).

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I can't say for sure, but I don't think they'll eat the bad stuff. I would rinse it good before feeding it - then it would be moist so it might be ok.

Sure wish you were close - I'd give you a new bale!

LOL Bo, awesome answer! Why didn't I think of that? I suggest rinsing the hay for allergies all the time.

I'm glad I asked. ;)

sas :biggrin2:

My concern would be the mold. If Sherry pees, and it seeps down into a dark non aired out spot, it will mold. I think the key with hay is to keep it dry. Washing may help, but the mold may be dangerous.

Mold will turn to white powder, she should be able to see that.

If you can rinse it and have a safe place to dry it out without it being all bundled (fire hazard with the moisture) you could actually dry some of it all at one time.

Do you have like an old screen door you could put on saw horses?

Basil and Max have jumped in the hay bin a few times and peed. I usually catch it right after so I can pull out the soiled spots, but some of it Im sure I miss.

As long as its not molding it shuold be fine.

HoneyPot wrote:
My concern would be the mold. If Sherry pees, and it seeps down into a dark non aired out spot, it will mold. I think the key with hay is to keep it dry. Washing may help, but the mold may be dangerous.
Yeah, I was scared to death of moldy hay (and pellets) until I actually foundsome. Some of the hay had fallen out of the bin and into the tub, and I guess my tap tub did leak on the sly.There weremoldypatches. But it was very apparent.

I had always 'inhaled' the hay trying to make sure it was clean, so afraid I'd miss it, but the mold smell was pretty overt and unmistakable.

So great. Now I get to'inhale' bunny pee. :yuck Not sure how far into the stack the pee will travel, but it is tightly packed hay, not much ventilation mid-stack I don't think, even though the outside is exposed to air.

(I'm definitely going to give Sherry the stuff on top, serves her right). :nonono:

sas :tantrum:

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Mold will turn to white powder, she should be able to see that.

If you can rinse it and have a safe place to dry it out without it being all bundled (fire hazard with the moisture) you could actually dry some of it all at one time.
Ah, good to know. The stuff I found was still at least a little damp.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Do you have like an old screen door you could put on saw horses?

Hmmm... sawhorses on the front porch, not sure how easy a screen door is to find, but that'll work. :)

Landlord HATES my hay, though, won't be too happy. ;) Saving grace is that thanks to the bunnies, the place needs enough renovations to be a pain in the butt, so they won't evict me. ;)

sas :biggrin2:

Yep, hay will combust. That's why people have so many barn fires..... they bale wet hay and put it up in the barn. We've had smoking bales before on trailers - with it having been dried for 3 days before baling! It's pretty scary!

That's funny about the landlord LOL! "OK, my bunnies have trashed your house - want me to leave? you can fix it up!" LOL!

Back