Hay and Pellets: Share Your Thoughts...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I'd like to know people's answers tothe following hay- and pellet-related questions. (It may beeasiest to read your answers if you copy/ quote my original questions and reply [in bold or colored] font beneath each one. Also, feel free to answer only those questions of interest.)

HAY

1) Which hay type (timothy, oat, etc.) makes up the majority of your rabbit's/ rabbits' diet?

2) What hay brand (Oxbow, Zupreem, etc.) do you usually buy, and what is/ are your reason(s)for buying this hay type/brand (e.g., "I buy Zupreem timothy hay because its high in fiber andpesticide-free," etc.).

3)How many bunnies do you have?

4) How much hay (in oz. or lbs.) do they consume in a week's time?

5) How long do you think that hay remains fresh enough to feed (from the time that you open the bag)?

6) From where do you purchase hay and why?

7) If your bunny has digestive issues (e.g., megacolon, etc.), which hay type works best for him/ her?

8) What other info. regarding hay might you like to share?

PELLETS

1) Which pellet brand (Oxbow, etc.) do you usually buy?

2)What is/ are your reason(s) for buying this pellet brand (e.g., "I prefer Oxbow Bunny Basics/ T because of its high-protein/ low-carb ingredients").

3) What amount of pellets do you feed daily and why (e.g., "I feed only 1/8 of a cup due to my bunny having digestive issues, etc.)?

4) If you have only a few bunnies and make hay/ veggies the main focus, how do you keep pellets from going to waste (e.g., freeze them, etc.)?

5) What other info. regarding pellets might you like to share?

Thanks,

Jenk

Jenk wrote:
HAY

1) majority is timothy, but a lot of oat and "botanical hay"

2) oxbow, kaytee occasionally (ie when other stores are closed and i need it right away)

3) i like oxbow because it has variety, is pretty easy to find here, and is very coarse/fibery but not very dusty.

4) no digestive issues, but Muffin has some points on her teeth that the vet wants to make sure won't turn into spurs, so i try to push her fav type of hay--oat.

5) Three-part question:

A) 2

B) maybe a pound? i don't keep track that well, just refill when things get empty.

C) a month?

6) i'm worried about getting local hay because of the other weeds that go into it and the mixture of hay types might be more toward alfalfa than timothy. it would be cheaper, but i don't know if i could trust it.

PELLETS

1) oxbow

2) good fiber, protein, mineral levels. bunnies love the taste.

3) each bunny gets 1/8c a day. tony gets a little less because he's a bit fat, and muffin gets a bit more because she's underweight. i know if i give tony much more than that, he leaves cecals uneaten.

4) i but 10lbs at a time, which lasts me several months (3-4?). i just keep the bag closed.

5)

Jenk wrote:
HAY

1) Which hay type (timothy, oat, etc.) makes up the majority of your rabbit's/ rabbits' diet?
Timothy Hay

2) What hay brand (Oxbow, Zupreem, etc.) do you usually buy, and what is/ are your reason(s)for buying this hay type/brand (e.g., "I buy Zupreem timothy hay because its high in fiber andpesticide-free," etc.).
I recently bought Farmer Dave hay (found on ebay) because my bunnies hated Kaytee timothy hay and refused to eat it. They seem to love the farm hay :)

Two

Very little hay consumption per week, they are Netherland Dwarfs and don't eat much!

5) How long do you think that hay remains fresh enough to feed (from the time that you open the bag)?
Not sure, but I'm definitely not going to trust the bag that I've been storing in the garage (may get moldy or something). Once my current 6 pound bag (stored indoors) is done I'll buy new and toss the garage hay.

On ebay...no farms around here for me to go to so I have to have it shipped (expensive!)

PELLETS

Manna Pro

2)What is/ are your reason(s) for buying this pellet brand (e.g., "I prefer Oxbow Bunny Basics/ T because of its high-protein/ low-carb ingredients").
Two different breeders that we bought the bunnies from both used Manna Pro and told us to buy that for the bunnies so we did.

3) What amount of pellets do you feed daily and why (e.g., "I feed only 1/8 of a cup due to my bunny having digestive issues, etc.)?
1/4 cup because my bunnies are Netherland Dwarfs and that's what I read was the recommended daily food intake for them. They run around a lot so they get a bit of oats every day to keep weight on as well.

4) If you have only a few bunnies and make hay/ veggies the main focus, how do you keep pellets from going to waste (e.g., freeze them, etc.)?
Hay / Veggies are not the main focus, but I am forced into buying 50 pound bags of pellets because that's all they have at the Tractor Supply. Needless to say, this is WAY too much for two tiny bunnies so I just trash the rest of the pellets after 6-8 months and buy fresh. Price is $11 per 50 pound bag so it's cheap enough to toss leftovers.

:nicethread
HAY

1) Which hay type (timothy, oat, etc.) makes up the majority of your rabbit's/ rabbits' diet? I buy mixed grass bales, which seem to have mainly timothy, bluegrass, and maybe some reed canary grass in them. And I steal bluegrass from the in-law's.;)

2) What hay brand (Oxbow, Zupreem, etc.) do you usually buy, and what is/ are your reason(s)for buying this hay type/brand (e.g., "I buy Zupreem timothy hay because its high in fiber andpesticide-free," etc.). "Local Farmer Brand!" I'd go broke if I kept buying brand hay for my hay monsters. I have two main local sources but I'm looking for another now because the one my bunnies usually prefer seems off this spring. I just bought some Sweet Meadow Timothy at the pet store and it's great stuff. Their alfalfa is fabulous, I mixed it with the grass hay to encourage my last foster bun to eat hay. I used to order all different types from Oxbow, they usually had great quality although I did have issues with my last box I got from them. Kaytee is too dusty and just kills me with my hay allergies.

3)How many bunnies do you have? Four now, although I've got the fostering bug...

4) How much hay (in oz. or lbs.) do they consume in a week's time? Oh dear lord I don't want to know!!! There's a reason I buy two 40 lb bales at a time! I think it's a little less than 10 lbs a week, maybe 8?

5) How long do you think that hay remains fresh enough to feed (from the time that you open the bag)? Opening the bag shouldn't matter, there had better be holes in that bag to keep the hay from getting moldy! It can definitely go 1 year from being harvested although it depends on how it's stored. Store/branded hay I'd say you can buy a supply to last a few months, more if you're ordering in bulk just after the new harvest is brought in. You should be able to check that if you are ordering direct from companies like Oxbow, Bunny Bales, Farmer Dave, etc.

6) From where do you purchase hay and why? Farmers, cause it's *usually* good quality, fresh (I've gotten it straight off the wagon before it's put in the barn!), and darn cheap. If I'm in a bind I'll buy from one of the pet stores. But if I absolutely have to buy hay and can't get farmer hay for a while I'll order in bulk from Oxbow again and I'd be willing to try a bunch of other places like Sweet Meadow, Kleenmama, Bunny Bales, etc.

7) If your bunny has digestive issues (e.g., megacolon, etc.), which hay type works best for him/ her? Fey has megacolon, and as long as it's grass hay it's good for her. She's had oat hay as a treat and that's fine. I wish I could find some around here! But really, as long as she likes it enough to eat it she's good on it. I know I've had timothy, oat, orchard grass, bluegrass, and other random local grasses.

8) What other info. regarding hay might you like to share? Don't be afraid to buy in bulk! Seriously, even with shipping it's cheaper to buy 20 or 50 lbs of Oxbow hay at a time than 5 lbs in the store. And check out local farmers, feed stores, and horse barns and see what you can get in your area. Horse stables might break up a bale for you. If you can't store or use a full 40 lb bale, take what you need and donate the rest to a shelter or rescue.

PELLETS

1) Which pellet brand (Oxbow, etc.) do you usually buy? Oxbow BB/T.

2)What is/ are your reason(s) for buying this pellet brand (e.g., "I prefer Oxbow Bunny Basics/ T because of its high-protein/ low-carb ingredients"). Low protein, high fiber, good quality, trust the company. And my rabbits all love it.

3) What amount of pellets do you feed daily and why (e.g., "I feed only 1/8 of a cup due to my bunny having digestive issues, etc.)? Mocha (2 lbs) and Loki (5 lbs) share 1/2 cup daily, Oberon (8.5 lbs) gets 1/2 cup, Fey (3.5 lbs) gets only 2 tbsp because of her megacolon.

4) If you have only a few bunnies and make hay/ veggies the main focus, how do you keep pellets from going to waste (e.g., freeze them, etc.)? Four isn't that many, is it?:huh Mine go through a 10 lb bag of pellets in about 2 months. I keep them in a plastic container which I leave cracked open for air flow.

5) What other info. regarding pellets might you like to share? If you're feeding alfalfa pellets, check out feed stores. Most of the pellets made for show breeders are better quality than alfalfa pellets in pet stores. If you can only get huge bags, take what you need and donate the rest. You'll still be saving money!

HAY

1)
Which hay type (timothy, oat, etc.) makes up the majority of your rabbit's/ rabbits' diet?

I usually feed timothy and occasionally I have some blue grass or alfalfa (not too much alfalfa, usually only a teeny bit if it's mixed in with the timothy)

I buy in large bales. It's fresher and much nicer than many bagged hays sold in pet stores. It's a lot cheaper too!

Four huge hay eaters

Couldn't tell you exactly, but my pair go through a mega huge handful in the morning and in the evening, and my two single girls eat a large handful every day, give or take.

If kept in an airy, cool, dry place, you can keep it for quite awhile. I've kept hay from a bale for a couple of months and it's held up fine.

Local farmers and feed stores. I also go to places that a lot of people recommend and use, so I know that their hay is good quality and reliable. Very cheap compared to those little bags sold in pet stores.

7) If your bunny has digestive issues (e.g., megacolon, etc.), which hay type works best for him/ her?

No digestive issues with anyone here, so not much help with that :).

Definitely go with bales of hay from reputable feed/farm stores. It's a lot cheaper and better quality hay. With how much I give my guys, it would cost me a fortune in pet store hay to keep them with unlimited hay! It's a lot less expensive and I have nothing but positive things to say about bales. You just have to be careful since it can be tricky to store that much hay, and it can be a bit messy.. but it's worth it!

PELLETS

For the past year or two, Martin's Little FriendsLess Active Rabbit Pellet (My guys aren't less active, it's just a timothy based pellet rather than an alfalfa based).

It's a high quality timothy based pellet that is easily found and reasonably priced. It's only available (to my knowledge) in Canada though. It comes recommend from local rabbit rescues here, and I am very happy with it!

I don't really measure, I mostly eye ball it since my guys are pretty good with their food. I give my two single girls a small handful in the morning and evening (works out to be about 1/4-1/5 of a cup total). I give Bruno a handful in the morning and evening, and Poppy a handful in the morning and evening (she is smaller, but she's also 4 and is on the skinny side).

I usually just buy the smaller bag, I have 4 bunnies so I don't usually have a problem with storing them for an extended period of time.

I've been starting to cut back on pellets since I'd like to have a diet more natural with a wider range of hays and vegetables with a lot less pellets, but haven't been able to do so yet. My guys seem to be doing well on the amount of pellets they are given though!

HAY

1) Which hay type (timothy, oat, etc.) makes up the majority of your rabbit's/ rabbits' diet?oat

2) What hay brand (Oxbow, Zupreem, etc.) do you usually buy, and what is/ are your reason(s)for buying this hay type/brand (e.g., "I buy Zupreem timothy hay because its high in fiber andpesticide-free," etc.).I buy baled oat hay. It is way more afordable for me. The buns like it better, too. On the couple of occasions I've tried giving them bagged hay they wouldn't touch it.

% adults, five babies and 3 guinea pigs

Tough to say. Lots, probably about 10 lbs.

If properly stored it can last for months.

From the local feed store.

oat, it has bigger strands

PELLETS

purina

It is a decent quality. I feed so little I don't worry about it be alfalfa based.

About an eight a cup a day to the adults. I am free feeding the mom and babies.

I freeze half.

HAY

1)
Which hay type (timothy, oat, etc.) makes up the majority of your rabbit's/ rabbits' diet?
Mostly meadow, with some dried grass and orchard grass for variety

2) What hay brand (Oxbow, Zupreem, etc.) do you usually buy, and what is/ are your reason(s)for buying this hay type/brand (e.g., "I buy Zupreem timothy hay because its high in fiber andpesticide-free," etc.). I don't think it has a brand to be honest.:?

3)How many bunnies do you have? 1

4) How much hay (in oz. or lbs.) do they consume in a week's time? I don't really measure it, but around a full bag (small-ish bale)

5) How long do you think that hay remains fresh enough to feed (from the time that you open the bag)? I usually feed it within 1-2 weeks and it always stays fresh. Although I've kept 'back-up' hay for around 5-6 weeks before and it's always stayed fresh.

6) From where do you purchase hay and why? My local pet shop, because the hay is fantastic quality! Even better than the hay my horse gets:p (that's why I don't buy from my stable;))

PELLETS

1) Which pellet brand (Oxbow, etc.) do you usually buy? Science selective

2)What is/ are your reason(s) for buying this pellet brand (e.g., "I prefer Oxbow Bunny Basics/ T because of its high-protein/ low-carb ingredients"). It is fantastic! Seriously - Millie has never been healthier (and she produces more poop in a day than some other buns I've seen produce in about a week:shock:. Gross but true.:p)Although there are slightly higher fibre pellets out there I would never change. It's a super-pellet I tell you.;)

3) What amount of pellets do you feed daily and why (e.g., "I feed only 1/8 of a cup due to my bunny having digestive issues, etc.)? A small handful - because that's all she needs! I believe in feeding the smallest amount of pellets possible then just lots of veg and hay.:)

4) If you have only a few bunnies and make hay/ veggies the main focus, how do you keep pellets from going to waste (e.g., freeze them, etc.)? I buy in small bags.

5) What other info. regarding pellets might you like to share? No one type of pellet works for every rabbit, so experiment with a few and see which one you rabbit does best on.:)

HAY

1)
Which hay type (timothy, oat, etc.) makes up the majority of your rabbit's/ rabbits' diet? mixed grass hay (includes timothy and other types and is the local farmers hay)

2) What hay brand (Oxbow, Zupreem, etc.) do you usually buy, and what is/ are your reason(s)for buying this hay type/brand (e.g., "I buy Zupreem timothy hay because its high in fiber andpesticide-free," etc.). I buy from either local farmers or feed stores, who ever has the best quality and the best looking and smelling hay. it is good for them, and it doesn't cost an arm or leg.

3)How many bunnies do you have? 25

4) How much hay (in oz. or lbs.) do they consume in a week's time? lbs, dunno, about a full bale a month give or take depending if they are eating more due to molting

5) How long do you think that hay remains fresh enough to feed (from the time that you open the bag)? if baled and stored properly a good year, loose hay breaks down quicker and become stale much faster.

6) From where do you purchase hay and why? see number 2

7) If your bunny has digestive issues (e.g., megacolon, etc.), which hay type works best for him/ her? what they are eating seems to work just fine

PELLETS

1) Which pellet brand (Oxbow, etc.) do you usually buy? Blueseal

2)What is/ are your reason(s) for buying this pellet brand (e.g., "I prefer Oxbow Bunny Basics/ T because of its high-protein/ low-carb ingredients"). my buns have always done well on it, in my life time I've only had 1 bun who I had to feed entirely differently.I think if I had to change due to some reason I'd use purina

3) What amount of pellets do you feed daily and why (e.g., "I feed only 1/8 of a cup due to my bunny having digestive issues, etc.)? It depends on the bun, my guys range from 2lbs 10 oz, to 13 lbs and everything in between, I get a feel for what each bun should be eating per their size, I eyeball the measurement on a scoop and adjust their feed from there, if they loose weight increase, if they start to get chubby, i decrease.

I have 2 buns who eat far more than what their size says they should both around 6 lbs rabbits, and if I feed them less than 3/4th of a cup a day they loose weight, I feel they just have a higher metabolism.

and yet one other who's around the same weight prob gets just over an 1/8th of a cup or she puges out, but she is rather a lazy bun..

4) If you have only a few bunnies and make hay/ veggies the main focus, how do you keep pellets from going to waste (e.g., freeze them, etc.)? I go through 50lbs of food in 1 week and 5 days.

5) What other info. regarding pellets might you like to share? Different things work for different buns, and different famlies, as long as they are healthy, and eating decent food, I don't think it makes a huge difference.

HAY

1)

My usual hay is timothy, but I like to add as much variety as possible. That being said, my bunnies tend to be picky and I'm currently looking into adding different grass and other type hays into their diet. I'll occasionally use a small portion of alfalfa for each bunny and they also like orchard grass. I'm considering oat hay right now.

I have been purchasing my timothy hay in bulk from Bunny Bale and I've been trying other types of hays from Sweet Meadow Farms. I like that both companies allow me to purchase in bulk as well as various other smaller sizes. I've also found that it is far fresher than the hay I could purchase from pet stores. It's much more cost effective as well.

Seven hungry little bunnies :p.

I don't think I can tell you specifically since it sometimes varies depending on what other type of hays I'm feeding as supplements as well as the weather, greens they're eating, and just their own personal daily changes. But I go through roughly 25-pounds of timothy hay every other month or so. But, keep in mind that that doesn't take into account the other hays I feed.

I keep my hay in containers in air tight containers kept in my attic/crawl space. That area of the house is incredibly cool and dry and safe from contaminants. While I keep it in air tight containers, I do drill a couple of holes into the top of the container to allow fresh air to flow through so as to avoid mold and other problems. I know some people who have kept it this way for a very long time - upwards of almost a year. I, however, never get the chance to see how long it'll last first hand because my bunnies are hay vultures!

I purchase all of my hays off of the internet. I prefer Bunny Bale and Sweet Meadow Farms to Oxbow as I found Oxbow hay to vary too much in quality and my bunnies didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the other hay. If I run out I have a friend who can get me good quality hay from a local farmer who mainly sells hay for horses, but whose still very cost effective and has fresh and consistent quality. Bunny Bale and Sweet Meadow Farms both have wonderful customer service and the quality and cost can't be easily beat for me. I also like that I can purchase the hay in bulk or in smaller quantities as needed.

Thankfully, no one has had any digestive issues here. Knock on wood :D!

For me, I've found that using sellers outside of pet stores allows for the best quality as well as cost effectiveness. Since hay is a major part of rabbit's diet, it's not something that should be scrimped on and it's always better to go with a reputable source. I also really believe that quality is nothing without variety. Try different types of hay and see what your bunnies like. It will help their diet and inevitably with have them eating more hay than if they only had access to timothy hay on a constant basis.

PELLETS

I have been using Sweet Meadow Farms timothy pellets for my older bunnies and for my younger ones I have been using Sweet Meadow Farms rabbit blend as it is both timothy and alfalfa based pellets.

I've found it to be a very high quality timothy based pellet. And I like for my younger rabbits to still have some alfalfa in their pellets. The quality can't be beat as some other brands and companies I've used have been extremely dusty. Just the smell and look of the pellets seems better to me than Oxbow's along with many other brands. I can also purchase it in bulk at a very reasonable fee.

I use measuring cups. I have a set inmy feed box and rely on it a lot. For Silvie, who is my american chinchilla and my largest bunny, I feed 1/2 cup of timothyand alfalfabased pellets a day. For my mini rexes and my dutch, I feed 1/4 cup of timothypelletsdaily. My lionhead is my smallest and he gets the timothy and alfalfa blend. I feed him roughly 1/8 cup daily. And I have two fosters who came to me a bit on the thin side so they're getting the timothy alfalfa blend and are being free fed but eat about 1/2 cup of pellets daily. Once their weight is up, they'll be switched to the timothy pellets and will probably get about a 1/4 cup daily.

I'm not a "few bunny" household ;).

My suggestion is to use what works for you and your bunnies. Every rabbit is different and there's no set rule about what type of pellet to feed or how much. And it's also a lot of experimentation. But, if you listen to what your rabbits are telling you (physically and emotionally) it'll become a lot easier and you will be comfortable with what you're doing and they'll be healthier and happier.

Good luck :biggrin2:!

Latest posts

Back