Have they been fighting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saffy

Reaction score
9 Ladies Stone Circle - Derbyshire, , United King
let the rabbit's out this morning and popped in to make a coffee for my husband and went upstairs to chat.

When I came down I took food out to the bunnies .. and usually they go mad and race to see who can get in the cage and to the food, first.

This morning however, I noticed that one of them had exceptionally bad poops .. Benji tends to get this when stressed. Then I wondered why Luna hadn't raced to join him. She was sat under the cage and obviously frightened.

When I managed to get her our she drunkenly walked, veering to the right hand side. I checked her all over and whilst she seems to jerk away a little when I touch one side of her face, she is eating (tempting stuff like raspberry leaves) and drinking .. and her walk has started to get better.

I have had to wash Ben's bum as the poop was stuck to hi, together with half the hay in the cage. He's eating fine ...

At the moment I have seperated them. (Benji has been neutered but Luna has not, as yet as she is only 5 month's old .. they are a bonded pair but the last few days I have noticed Luna trying to hump poor Ben .. so maybe they had a bit of a tussle in the cage last night.

Luna is in the downstairs toilet in her carrier, with access to food, water and hay .. and has a heat pad in with her just in case she was shocked.

Apart from the vets .. is there any more I can do? My husband said "no vets" as it cost us £98 a few week's ago with our little bun Mookie, who subsequently died. Obviously if either of them seem to get worse I'll just have to ask my Mum nicely, for a loan.

Unspayed females can often be very aggressive , even viscious with other rabbits male and female. I would keep them separated but next to each other until Luna is spayed and recovers from the surgery (5-6 weeks) and then attempt to rebond them

At 5 months Luna is hormonal and actually is old enough to spay

Also check them both over very thoroughly for any puncture wounds . If you don't find any today check again for the next several days as often it is difficult to find small ones until scabs start to form over them.
You can cleanse the area with a cottonball diluting betadine until it is a pink color and throughly cleansing the puncture ; an untreated bite wound can often lead to an abscess

It sounds like Luna may have hit her head? I would definitely look them both over very carefully for any wounds.

I am bed bound at theomemt so can't even get down to see her. Hollie says Luna is eating pooping and erring and is still a little unsteady on her feet but she had her out and running around last night . Ben is ok just sulking but eating and so on fine. Luna is inside at theomemt. O will be taking her to the vet as soon as I am able. Her this disability I have is so frustrating at times.

Thought you would like to know that I have Luna booked into the vets at Bakewell who, from their site, are pretty rabbit savvy.

She's due to be neutered, but I'm not happy to book her in without the vet seeing her first and giving her a check over and reasurring me that she's not too small to operate on. (I'm worse than I was with my children!!!)

She's totally back to normal, but I have seperated her from Benji but allow them a little together time when I am able to supervise them. I've no doubt there is going to be no problem getting them back together once she has recovered from her op.

Thanks a lot for the replies on here. I was totally stuck in bed with a bug (and having a bad back was unable to take my meds so not able to even get downstairs to check) ...

Saffy

Hoping they are doing better. We had a bonded pair that had been together for more than six years that started fighting seriously, so much so that we had to put them in separate hutches.

About your rabbit being too small to get spayed, my lionhead mix in my avatar is smaller than my netherland dwarf, and she is spayed. So I have both my rabbits fixed. I don't think that the size of the rabbit makes a difference when it comes to spaying and neutering. I do know that they have to be a certain minimum weight and age before they can get spayed and/or neutered, that is because of the anastesia(sp) that the vet uses.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5450339&id=652162413

Took her to the vets and she's had her myxi jab and has been prounounced fit and healthy .. just too small yet to have her op. The vet wants her to be at least 2 kg before operating so am taking her back in another 6 weeks. She's with Ben all day and they are fine, but am parting them at night when I lock them into the cage.

Latest posts

Back