Harvey won't eat!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MATH

Reaction score
Came home from school today to find Harvey hadn't eaten breakfast (of course he didn't eat the one day, I was in a rush and didn't watch him). His litter box had some poops, but nearly as much as should be there, and they were small. I could get him to eat a tiny piece of carrot with benebac on it, but that is it! Nothing that is actually healthy, not even his pellets which he always loves. Not drinking either, even when I flavored it! AHHH!

I made a 5:30 vet appointment, but of course that seems like an eternity! He alternates between the hunched up pain position, stomach across floor position, and hopping a bit (which is good).

I'm going to the store to get some cilantro, mint, parsley to see him he wants that over the more bland veggies (I guess), I have here.

Should I give simethicone before I go? I don't want to interfere with what vet is going to do.

When my other bun went into stasis she gave IV fluids under skin, then gave metacam for pain to give every 24 hours and metoclopram to jump start gut (to be given every 4 hours). But, after doing some research/info on here it seems these drugs can be dangerous. I don't want to go to vet to find she is giving these drugs...

Simethicone does not interfere with many other drugs because it stays completely in the digestive tract and is not absorbed into the bloodstream, so it should be safe. Sub-q fluids would definitely be good. If you have an oral syringe try to get some fluid in him yourself.

- Description: unknown breed, brown and white, 7. 15 pounds

- spayed/neutered?- no (male)

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
see below

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? : been to vet, never been sick before

- Diet - what does your bunny eat?: 2 cups veggies in morning (cilantro, romaine, red lettuce, collard greens etc.), 1 1/2 cup at night, about 1/4 cup of Timothy Complete Kaytee pellets, unlimited timothy complete kaytee hay
- when and what did s/he eat last? currently eating now

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally?: movement=normal

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? -straw

- has the rabbit been outdoors? lives outside

Hi, I wanted to update on Harvey. The vet visit went well they said he was in ileus rather than full on stasis. They prescribed pain medication and gave fluids. That night I was able to syringe feed him critical care, which I think helped him get his appetite back as later he was eating parsley and cilantro. He pooped that night, so I was happy. The next night he ate cilantro, parsley and romaine lettuce. Introduced tiny bit of pellets today, which he ate. I have been feeding him cilantro and parsley a couple times a day.

BUT I am still concerned. His appetite is back. He is currently eating veggies now. However, his output is not the same as his input! This morning his litter box was fairly full, just smaller than usual. Just checked it again only two tiny unmoist poos, and a couple uneaten cecotropes. On Thursday/Friday I noticed this as well. So needless to say I am still worried.

He may just be slow to recovery, but I'm not convinced because I was very fast paced when I saw he hadn't eaten or pooped. He never had full blown stasis, or became lethargic. I'm wondering if there is something else going on, that caused the pain/ileus before. Edited to add: not really drinking anything, does get fluids from veggies, but usually drinks additional fluid. Granted he did get a lot of fluid from vet/critical care Friday night...

My vet is closed today, but I plan to call tomorrow to update/hear what they have to say. However, in the mean time, any thoughts on his symptoms...

Many times recovery is slow even if it isn't full blown stasis; it would be helpful if you also got some pedialyte and syringed fluids ; you can also get a fresh pineapple and give several cc's of pineapple juice several times per day.
if you can get some benebac and give a dose this may also help.

Doesn't sounds like he has gas at the moment but you should always keep liquid simethicone on hand just in case
and the wet veggies will help but don't give too much collard greens as they contain calcium oxalates and should only be given occasionally ;they also may produce gas

Okay thanks, I am definitely going to try to get some fluids in him.

As for the collard greens, thanks for the info. I feed those frequently. It really irritates me that I am see lists of good veggies from reputable sources, yet there are things that shouldn't be feed a lot like carrots and apparently collard greens. Those lists really need more info on them!

I am giving benebac once a day. He doesn't seem to be in any pain/gassy...

I give collards all the time. I make sure not to feed two brocolli-related veggies in a day though--if breakfast is brussels sprouts, dinner is lettuce, etc. My guys are pretty immune to gas though.

Back