Harper's ear is swollen inside and hanging down

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry to be posting with yet Another concern. I mentioned awhile back that Harper's ears are funny now with the collar off. However, I noticed since taking it off yesterday that this one ear makes a popping sound today when he shakes his head or scratches the ear. The cartridge inside the ear is also swollen, the ear hangs down, and he scratches the ear a lot. He also shakes his head a lot. I know he's had the collar on for a while, but this doesn't seem normal to me...

Here are some pictures I just took. The swollen cartridge is more swollen than what the picture shows, however he wouldn't sit still long enough to get a good picture.

Here's the ear with the swollen cartridge:

ear4small.jpg

Here's his normal ear in comparison:

ear3small.jpg

And here is how he holds his ears constantly today:

ear2small.jpg

ear1small.jpg

I thought about that, but I'm curious as to why it is swollen. Could it just be inflammation? I talked to a couple other people I know (not on the boards) who had rabbits in an e-collar before, and they never experienced this, so that made me more concerned. :?

Don't know about bunnies, but I once had severe swollen ear cartridge once from using those ear bud headphones (I have small ears) and it cracked my cartridge. It was red and swollen for a week or so and it was painful to the touch. I would just make sure it does swell anymore than it is and make sure he doesn't try to touch it too much. There's nothing else you can do, it's just from the strain of the collar for so long. I'm not a rabbit, but I thought I'd share my:twocents

I would think it really might be from the collar. He did have that thing on for a very long time and that had to affect the way the cartilage was positioned.

I think that since you just took it off yesterday, I would give it a few days before taking him back to the vet...it may just need some time to go back to normal.

Does it seem to bother him much? Poor Harper :(

Poor baby! He is having a rough time. But you know what, at least he has a wonderful mommy to look out for him. Very attentive and knows exactly when something is wrong.

I can just see him now with a splint on his ears. Put them between two boards sticking straight up. Funny! Sorry Harper, just had that imagine my head.

Well, I called the vet earlier today, who never called me back. :angry rant

There's no indication of ear mites, so I'm thinking it's maybe inflammation of a muscle or something from the e-collar.

You'll have to forgive me, I'm a neurotic bunny mommy. :craziness

Aww poor Harper..this little guy has been through enough already!

Hey, i just noticed something in this picture..your control has buttons!! lol,i forgot what a control with buttons looks like lol

ear4small.jpg

cheryl

Hey guys! The swelling is still there but he's holding his ears a bit better at certain times. Other times he still lays it flat, and they are still making the popping sound when he shakes his head or scratches his ears. Hopefully it'll heal fine with no problems.

You might want to have the vet check it out to see if he can find the source of inflammation.

Pam

Harper's ear still looks the same and it's still making this loud popping sound when it moves. I finally got a hold of the vet this morning and he said that there's two pieces of cartridge a rabbits ear, and they are fused together. When the cartridge is injured, it splits or pulls apart from each other, and then you get the popping sound and the ear hangs down. He said it'll heal fine on it's own, however it is painful for him. :cry3

Does all this sound correct?

Poor Harper! :( That sounds about right to me... But you might want to take another, more knowlegable rabbit's owner's opinion as well ... I don't know much about these sorts of things. :) I hope Harper gets better soon! :)

Latest posts

Back