hard poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magic_girl

Reaction score
hi i wanted to know what i can do to help him my bunny is haveing a hard time pooping his poo is hard he gets water every day hay and feed he just has a sore bum is there something i can put on there??

Rabbits are supposed to have hard poos. What do you mean he's having a hard time going though? Kind of like he's constipated?

By the way, can a mod please move this to the Infirmary or Nutrition/Behaviour section?

Emily

yea constipated is there something i can do

1z3s6yh.jpg

here's a pic of his bum

2d98bkm.jpg

this is him

You can give him a bit of canned pumpkin, it helpsrelieve constipation.

What is his diet like?

What is his age and what kind of hay do you feed? Is it available at all times? :)

he's 8 weeks old alfalfa hay everyday i put inside his house to keep him warm he stays outsidein a shed should i change it to straw for his beding i clean it out everyday he's the onlyone like this.

It seems like he has the right diet. :?I know at the rescue I volunteer at there are some bunnies who have a great diet but still have digestive problems. But anyway, canned pumpkin should do the trick and rabbits love it!

Hello-

There are a few things you can do to help a constipated bun. My boy, Erik, has had problems with constipation in the past.

Try feeding him some greens, like romaine lettuce. If he is a young bun he shouldn't get too many, but some will be good. Also, I fed Erik clover when he had problems.

Canned pumpkin is good. Try putting it in a syringe, maybe mixing a drop or two of vanilla into it to "sweeten" it. Don't want to give him too much sugar, though!

Also if I remember correctly, alfalfa can have a mild laxative effect. But you don't want too much as that will really throw off his young little tummy.

If the condition doesn't improve, he will need to be brought into the vet to assist with his poopie problems.

Best of luck to you and your bun!

I'm also moving this to the Infirmary, where it may get some more attention.

I can't tell from the pic, but is the rectum just red and irritated or does it look like part of it is sticking out?

Poor little guy. I agree with the above advice, especially the canned pumpkin and starting him slowly on wet veggies like parsley.

You may also want to put just a touch of apple juice in a separate dish of water just to see if it will get him drinking more.

Good luck!

sas :clover:

His anus is red, swollen and inflamed from??
In addition to the changes in diet this rabbit needs to see a vetwhois a rabbit knowledgeable.
ferrets get prolapsed rectums...I don't know about rabbits

it is probably painful for him to poop.:(

I feel so sorry seeing such a cute guy in pain. Maybe giving him some veg might help. Also if you gave him a bit more then he should he might get a bit runny and find it easier to go. <<<< Thats prob a bad idea though I'm only new to rabbits. Thank god mine havn't had any real probs.

Well...that looks like an impaction and really close to a prolapse. In something like this....I am not so sure about the canned pumpkin or any other food. You really have to move it out before you can put more in. The intestinal walls in a rabbit are very thin and can't stand a lot of pressure. In a working gut, the pressure that is provided by high fiber foods such as hay or pumpkin helps to move things along. If the gate closes, the guts stops and dries out andthe pressure from the food continues to build and that can lead to bloat and escalate into more serious conditions. What this needs is hydration.....I can just about bet this rabbit is dehydrated. Dehydration is a self feeding problem. As the gut dehydrates, the ingesta compacts and dries out. In an effort to remedy the situation, the body responds by taking fluids from other areas...and the cycle begins. If I were to give this rabbit anything by mouth....it would be wet leafy veggies....romaine or dandelion greens have lots of water and I would try to get some liquids in him....any fluid that is safe for a rabbit. Orally is better than nothing....but sub-q or IV infusionswould be much better. I would get this rabbit rehydrated as quickly as possible. Do not use laxative type stuff like for cats.....that will only make the problem worse. As he rehydrates, try to get him to move as much as comfortably possible without undue stress. Letting him sit on heat (a closely monitored heating pad on lowest setting....but keep watch as they can still get hot enough to burn) might be of help. Very light massages under his gut might also stimulate some gut movement. If you go to a vet, they might prescribe motility drugs.....I never allow their use with any of my rabbits...too much risk (personal opinion based on experience). Hydration is what is needed.

Randy

he's been doing good he staying side with me so i can take care of him it's not that red any more eatting just fine and drinking and useing the bathroom

Latest posts

Back