Hammocks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightPoet00

Reaction score
As some of you probably know, I am a former ownerof 5 pet rats who sadly died. :( But now I'm the proud owner ofWinston, my bunny! :) Anyway, my rats LOVED hammocks. Do rabbits likethem too? I'd think probably not, but I just wondered if anyone had hadany success with buns and hammocks.

Beth :dude:

My buns love their hammock, but I found I have tocover the edges with duct tape because they like to bite at the edgeswhile they are still in the hammock :shock:

I don't understand... hammocks?! Oohtell me all about it! Do they sit in hammocks? I'dlove to get them some if they do coz we're going to build a shed in theback garden and have a big adventure playground for the buns.I'm really keen on any ideas that will give them a bit more fun andenjoyment.

Hammocks are exactly what they sound like! Abasic hammock is a square of some fabric that is hung from its 4corners. The animal can sleep in it. There are lots of fancy ones youcan get at the petstore that have multiple levels, or are made of polarfleece. My rats absolutely ADORED them! They'd always sleep in them,and they loved chewing holes in the two level ones.

I'm actually thinking about making some if you're intersted (hint hint;)). They tend to be overpriced at the pet store, so I was planning tosell them for $5-10, plus shipping. I've seen them hand made fromcrocheted yarn (tightly woven to protect feet! Hammocks are reallywonderful, and apparently rabbits love them too! *Starts making Winstona hammock* :D

Well I'd love to buy some from you but theshipping would probably cost more than the hammocks!LOL I do a bit of needlework and stuff myself, so maybe I'llget knitting and make my buns a few. I've never seen themhere in the UK. Is there any material that you think is moresuitable than others... i.e. natural wool instead of dyed wool?

I honestly don't know. This is my first forayinto making hammocks! I'd guess that the less checmicals the better,although at one website a pet owner asked for an item that was madefrom non-animal products. It's up to you, I suppose!

Maybe some kind of twine or something then... orthe material for making baskets. Can't remember what it'scalled, my brain is off today. Henry tries to bite basketsall the time, so maybe some with that material would be a good idea.

My hammocks are made with a tougher material onthe bottom part, and a polar fleece inside. The material onthe outside is rather like the material for a tent, or ajacket. I cant remember the exact name of the material as Iam running on about 4 hours of sleep and a head cold.

Just make sure you reinforce the edges and the straps you use tosuspend the hammock. Gir loves to chew on his hammock andactually ended up severing the strings that held it up, while he was init. Boy did he look surprised!

Rabbits arent as keen as rats and ferrets for sleeping in the hammock,since most buns prefer to have their feet on solid ground, but somebuns like to get 'adventerous'

Latest posts

Back