hair loss on ears?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lola13

Reaction score
So I just was hanging out with zentor, and I just noticed that he was loosing hair on his ears and that it seemed like he had dandrff (spelling?). Also his ears have been a little hot, but he has found a new favorite spot in my room, which is sitting in front of my fan. I dont know if he is just shedding becuase of the weather change or if he is having a medical problem. His diet hasnt changed, hes drinking water and pooping normally, so i dont think its a big deal, just the dandrff looking stuff has me concerned. any thoughts on this would be helpful. thanks!

-Alora

Yes, the dandruff + hair loss sounds like fur mites. Revolution is a quick and easy treatment, well tolerated by most bunnies, and your vet can give it in a simple office visit.

I made an appointment for the vet for tomorrow moring. now how does a bun get mites? we just recently moved to an aprtment with new carpets, i dont know if they have been throughlly cleaned. could he have gotten the mites from the carpets? and its weird cuz i only see that the problem is on the top of his ears and no where else on his body. is this common or should i be seeing it all over?

It could be from the carpets. The mites also travel in from the grass on your shoes. It's just one of those things that you can't really protect them from, unless you change your clothing the minute you step inside your front door! Fur mites can start anywhere. It's more common for them to show up on the nape and back, but ears are normal too.

so it turns out to be nothing, which is weird. i guess he just has dry skin or somthing but there are no mites on him. so thats good, but its still weird that he had the flakes on his ears... humm

Hmm, that is interesting. I'm dealing with somewhat the same thing I think... I'll post in my thread in a moment, but just to say that Snuff had an ablong bare, dry, crusty bald spot on his back I thought could be fur mites, now the hair is growing back there. Now he has two other round bald spots lower on his back...:huh

So, just watch and see if any other spots develop.;)

Lola13 wrote:
so it turns out to be nothing, which is weird. i guess he just has dry skin or somthing but there are no mites on him. so thats good, but its still weird that he had the flakes on his ears... humm

Mites do not always show up on a skin scrapings ..

If you are concerned ..you could ask the vet if you could have a 1 time topical dose of Revolution.

I will see if it gets worse. he is shedding so it might be because of that. it doesnt look any different today then it did yesterday so i think thats good. i will keep an eye on it though.

Back