Gulp! Bonding three

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargazerLily

Reaction score
I think I am going to attempt something very hard to do here, and I don't know if it will work. I am prepared either way though. Nebula has only been part of this family for 3 days. I know he is just a baby, and still intact, and it is still way too early to know if this will work. For the last three days, he has managed to get in with my bonded males while I have not been home, and there have been no issues, knock on wood. I have even foundall three in a row curled up sleeping. Is there any reasonwhy I shouldn't try to bond the three, knowing full well thatat any moment, especially with Nebula being a baby, that the bonding could fail? Or is it best to wait a few months until Nebby is neutered, and then attempt a bonding?At the moment, I let all three play together when I am cleaning their pens and supervising, and seperate to feed since the adults are on different food than the baby. Any advice and constructive criticism is welcome. And like Isaid, I am prepared if bondingNebula with Orion andGalaxy doesn't work out.

Betsy

Males can be tricky, it sounds good but I'd be tempted to wait til neutering otherwise you could end up with a difficult stage where he's getting hormonal but too young to neuter.

Another consideration is adding another rabbit can sometime cause the existing males to fight.

I agree with Tamsin on waiting until after the neuter. As boys mature, they hit those difficult months (or years) when they are very hormonal. He's so young right now he doesnt have those instincts yet. I would hate for them to kick in while you arent home. As you know a bunny fight could end very badly.

I think I would wait until post neuter (or at least only let them together when they are supervised for now). I think you'll have the best luck that way.

Keep us posted!

I also agree.

When unneutered bucks fight, they can fight really badly. In the wild if they fight, often its too the death, and it's not worth risking.

You can do things to help the bonding along though between now and the neuter, things like swapping toys and food/water bowls (or bottle), swapping their cages, allowing them to play near each other but not access each other. It might not work, but if you try then at least you know :)

You will probably have to do it very slowly slowly after his neuter, and most likely it will depend more on his personality than the others.

Good luck.

I personally wouldn't advise actual contact, but if you are determined to do it then make sure that you are hovering over them because it only takes a second for a rabbit to gouge another rabbits nose, or take a chunk out of somewhere.

Watch mainly for circling and stop it immediately, and also watch for both parties with their heads down facing each other and not moving. Also you might find one chasing another nipping their back and sides, and that should be stopped to.

Please be careful, I don't want to find out some/one of your buns have/has been badly injured.

Latest posts

Back