Growing Mints for the Buns! And Having Troubles!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boz wrote:
Whooo! I got mints!

I got Spearmint, Peppermint, Oregano, and Chocolate mint! I got the first three at Shopko and they were ON SALE for 2.99. We went to a garden place yesterday and got the Chocolate mint for $2.50 not on sale! For now on I'll go there.

We also got a Munstead Lavender and a Thai Siam Queen Basil.
Can the rabbits eat those? My mom actually bought them for herself but the Basil had four little plants in it, so I took one and the Lavender, I can grow a plant myself from a clipping.

They also had...
Apple Mint, Lemon Mint, I think they also had Moroccan Mint (but I can't remember exactly what the name was, I know it started with an M!) And I thought a few others but I can't remember.
Some more they had were...
Lemon Balm, Sage, Purple Sage, Different Basils (forgot the names), Variety of Oregano, and a bunch of other herbs. I'll have to write them all down next time! :p

Anyway, can the rabbits eat all that I listed above?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the Chocolate Mint does smell like Andes Candies!
looks like a nice list of bunny treats :)

yes, they can have most of those, not sure what moroccan mint is, I've never seen that one, but if it's a variety of mint (Mentha x "something or other") it's probably ok.

Lavender is on the "safe" list for bunnies, though I haven't had a bunny yet that liked to eat it. I know other people's do, though.

About the bunch of other herbs, if you write what they are, I may be able to tell you :).
Most of the "human" herbs are edible to rabbits too, but not all of them! So better to be safe and not feed untill you know for sure.

please try not to sway away from proper nutrition,lets try not to split(hares)on optional feeding,and do-not use our pets as guinnea pigs,..a good diet consists of ie..70%(fiber) timothy/orchard grasses(hay)-i like low fat pellets,ie.purina rabbit chow-one ounce per pound of rabbit-or-6#bun=6oz.pellets daily,anything else is optional,.ie.dandylions,clovers,grasses,..i have to restrict greens with two buns(rex,s)which are sensitive to greens--nasty little tail area,which has to washed to prevent the dreaded fly strike,..sincerely james waller

Hilde, I'll take a look, write them down and list them here! :D

James, I think I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that veggies are not needed in a rabbits diet, only pellets and hay (or not even hay?)? :?

Dolla has a very sensitive stomach (especially with protien). If she even has 1 Tablespoon over the amount of pellets she gets a day she'll get gas, bad poos, and is a very unhappy rabbit. Veggies on the other hand, she does great on!:) She gets about a 3/4 cup of veggies daily. All the rabbits are on limited pellets, unlimited hay and veggies at night.

As with many things rabbit, there are varying opinions on what is the best way to feed them.
Some, including many vets, consider pellets optional. Some, like James, consider greens and vegetables optional. I happen to be in the "pellets optional" camp.

As usual, do what works for individual buns. Some do well with pellets, some don't. Some do very well on greens, others get poopy butt.
You do what works for your bunnies.

Just a tip on the mint... it`ll spread like wildfire!

I`ve found it handy just to cut off the bottom of the pot, and stick the whole thing in the ground.
Mind you, if my grass keeps looking this bad, Ill just get a lawn of mint instead :)

NorthernAutumn wrote:
Mind you, if my grass keeps looking this bad, Ill just get a lawn of mint instead :)
LOL! At least your lawn will always smell good right? :p

Thanks for the tip!

We've planted mint for the bunnies and for making tea. :) And we also started from plants we bought, instead of from seed. We planted spearmint, peppermint, and apple mint. Despite the warnings we encountered, we couldn't be bothered to try to contain them. They've got their own little plots in the yard, and we're assuming they'll spread like crazy, but is that really such a bad thing? Our lawn is full of weeds of all kinds anyway, including dandelions that the bunnies adore. We also planted chamomile at the edge of another garden, where they'll benefit the onions planted next to them, and we're assuming that will spread into the lawn, too. Haha, maybe we'll regret it, but the sound of an edible lawn kind of appeals to me. :D

We also did a lot of other herbs this year: oregano, basil, thyme, parsley, dill, basil, cilantro, and chives, everything except the last being good for the bunnies. :D And we have squash and radish, the latter of which will supply leafy tops for K&C. Hope it all grows well!

"and chives, everything except the last being good for the bunnies. "

Are you talking about chives? I thought bunnies could have chives. :p

I should get some thyme, and more basil! And I need to get some carrot seeds!

Latest posts

Back