grooming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulsboopy

Reaction score
hi, i'm about to buy clippers for my rabbits' nails and i was wondering which ones would be the best kind to get? i looked on the petsmart website and got some good reviews on this little plastic clipper, but one review suggested cat nail clippers would be best. just wondering if you had any suggestions :). thanks!

Those sound great. :) I use dog toenail clippers to clip my rabbits nails; basically any toenail clippers are ok, as long as you are able to work them properly and all ;)
No type really prevents cutting into the quick, except for that quickfinder light thingy, but you're still bound to have an accident at some point.....

Emily

Oh ok. and does it hurt them whenever you cut into that? i mean, of course i definitely would try to not hit that, but if i do, is it ok? cause i'm really scared about that.

It really depends on how thick your rabbit's nails are. On Pixel we have to use dog clippers because her nails are so thick. However, cat clippers work fine on Skyler. Some people like the clipper kind best. Others swear by the guillotine kind. One rabbit-savvy vet I know uses regular "people" toenail clippers. So, I'd say it's what you're most comfortable using and what gets the job done most efficiently.

Here are 2 videos demonstrating and discussing clipping rabbit nails.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjLnJoVfSs8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyyxQRoAhcw[/ame]

I use the scissor type, but have used the guilliotine typw also. I have dog ones becasue I also have dogs and am not going to buy special rabbit (or cat) nail clippers.
The improtant thing is that you feel good about using them. The scissor type can be better if you are used to scissors. It can be a bit easier as the angle of you hand in more natural. Try to imagine yourself using the nail clippers and if your fingers can fit on the holes.

If you rabbit has white nails, the quick is easy to find as it is pink. Don't cut too close, and try to leave about 1mm of nail. For black nails, don't cut too much at a time, but you can take a little but off at a time and do a few cuts on each nail.

You should look at Quick Stop. It is a clotting thing that you use to help if you cut the quick.

I find it easier to have the rabbit on its back and wrap the feet in a towel so they do kick and can't get away.

Latest posts

Back