Green Cabbage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally.. I wouldn't.. I try to go by the rule if it causes gas in humans, it's likely to do it rabbits.

Prolly makes no sense whatsoever... but just my rule..

I got woken up this morning by a bunny tooting... so we no likey bunny gas..

Cabbage is listed in the HSR list of veggies as causing gas and not to befed to rabbits.

Marietta

Could I see the link to it? I have yet to find it on a yes or a no list. See this list has three alone that could cause gas. I have fed all three in small quantites. I want to know if it is toxic.

I have alittle left over from something and don't want to toss it.

Foods to feed only in small quantities:

• Broccoli leaves and stems (Note: broccoli can cause gas in some bunnies, and it is high in calcium, so it should not be given to bunnies who have any urinary tract problems, such as bladder sludge)
  • Broccoli (high in calcium, also may cause gas)
  • Carrots (high sugar content)
  • Carrot tops (high calcium)
  • Kale (high in calcium, also may cause gas)
  • Mustard greens (high calcium)
  • Parsley (high calcium)
  • Spinach (high in calcium)

http://www.lagomorphs.com/salad.pdfHere it says it is ok in limited quanties.

[align=left]Cabbage Family [/align]

[align=left]• Broccoli
[/align]

[align=left]• Brussels sprouts [/align]
[align=left]

[align=left]• Cabbage [/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]• Cauliflower [/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]• Kale (all types) [/align]

Note:
Limit quantities because they can cause gas. [/align]
Copyright © 2004 by Kathy Smith

Also on this site has it as ok. http://www.greenwichrabbitrescue.com/feeding.htm

I did not have time to check earlier. :D

No, cabbage is not toxic to buns. Yes, it CAN cause gas in some buns, but it doesn't in all.
It's the same as with people, some tolerate it without problems, some don't. You won't know untill you try.
Mine are ok with it, no gas problems at all (but then, I've yet to find anything that does...) except for Hazel who's poo can get a bit runny if she gets too much of it in one go.
Just as with all foods, try a small amount and see what happens.

I feed cabbage to our buns, although not often, but they do love spring greens, which are a kind of cabbage. We've seen no ill effects here in anybun, I think it's just something to be careful of, due to the high level of calcium, and the potential for gas problems, a bit like kale.

I've seen cabbage on quitea few safe lists, just can't think of them off the top of my head!

Just seeing this! I feed cabbage to my buns. Keep in mind that kale, collard greens, bok choy, and broccoli are all the exact same species as cabbage. They're just different horticultural varieties. My rabbits don't have any problems with cabbage, and they love it. Especially purple cabbage.

Latest posts

Back