Grates that irritate hocks (too much)?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
We need to provide a grate for at least two of our three rabbits; they'll ingest any type of litter, be it Carefresh, wood-stove pellets, or newspaper. Two of our buns also suffer from bare hocks, which often become sore/irritated. (Their pens contain microfiber blankets for extra cushioning.)

We waste a TON of hay because we put a lot of it in their boxes to help cushion their feet/hocks from the fluorescent lighting grid grate. I'm wondering if there's any other type of grate material that could be sized to fittheir boxes--they use restaurant busing pans and a large mortar-mixing pan--and wouldcause less irritation to their hocks?

I need to cut back on the amount of hay that we put into their boxes, which means they'll be standing more on a bare grate. But, dang it, paying $60 per month for hay is getting to be too much for us.

Oh, how I wish our bun crew could be trusted to stand on litter without eating it. *sigh*

Thank you,

Jenk

Latest posts

Back