GR

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
After having a nice, clear nose for a little while, Lavender has wet nose. Again. I want to scream. Loudly. Very, very, very loudly.

I HATE RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what we will do next, but obviously our current course of action hasn't worked as well as I thought.....she was doing so well! And now it's back!

I think it's culture time...

Lavender is now on a Baytril/gentimicin combination for the next week, then we're going to compound something for her to be on for a longer period of time, about three weeks.

If *this* doesn't work, we're breaking out the Cipro.

In good news, her lungs are very clear. And in reality, the infection isn't too widespread. Technically it's both in her upper respiratory tract and a little in her sinuses, but it isn't far down.

She is still eating well, hopping around, enjoying life.

She's currently on aspen shavings. I think I may have to switch her to another litter/bedding.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thoughts?

dsc00819jz2.jpg

She's so cute!!!

I hope she's feeling better. I'm so behind on reading posts. I'm sorry I didn't say something sooner!

Good that her lungs sound good!!

I think you're right to get her off the Aspen shavings. Here's a video in which an exotic vet discusses healthy/unhealthy litter for rabbits.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=JTT7Dr_pPbc[/ame]

I'm still about ready to scream, this time because I have a stubborn father who won't listen to me. *I* wanted a culture done...oh....two or more weeks ago. And it's only NOW he's agreed to it.

We need a different course of medicine than the Baytril. While her infection still is pretty small, and it isn't getting any worse (the Baytril is at least doing that much) it's not getting better like it should.

She's actually doing very well, which is surprising to me. The Gentamicin seemed to have really helped. It's just this little....chronic....sinusitis/upper respiratory infection that isn't going away.

Really, I could use some help for suggestions. I'm not saying that I'll use whatever you guys throw out there but I'll consider it and we will figure it out.

I think Zithromax is the next plan. Both he and the pharmacist said that Cipro won't work if Baytril isn't, which makes sense considering they're metabolized into the same drug....

I appreciate any help, preferably with specific medicines used.

For the record, her lungs are still crystal clear, and she's eating, drinking, and acting happy. It's just this *little* thing.

It's about time we got this done. I will post the results as soon as I get them, frankly I don't know how soon that will be as today is too busy of a day (sigh). Hopefully I will have them by Friday or Saturday.

I don't have personal experience with this, but several people on the board including Randy and JadeIcing have had good experiences with Zithromax. Or go for injected penicillan.

Also, try to remove all dust from her hay litter and sift her pellets in a collander. Sometimes the dust causes allergy-type nasal symptoms.

I'm about to go buy some Carefresh from the store- I thought I had more when I got home.

Honestly, allergies make a lot of sense. I just want a culture to see if there *is* anything in there at all. Again, I wish he would have done this two or so weeks ago....

Enough with that.

Zithromax is on the list of drugs we're trying next, unless the culture identifies anything otherwise. The problem is that her "appointment" is on Friday. He's booked with surgeries. So there we go. I won't have the results until Monday at least. It's annoying.

Until that point, we're taking another shot with antibiotics.

I'm having the same issues with Babette.

Weeks of Cipro only to have the upper respiratory return

Weeks of baytril and then a plan to try zithromax next

babette has been off all meds for 10 days

I pm'd Randy several weeks ago and he suggested using a cool water mister to put humidity in the air . I tried it and believe it or not her symptoms have disappeared.

If you are in a dry environment may be worth a try.

Heh. We don't live in a dry environment. Not in the least. That tends to be why most vets around here don't use nebulizers- it's always, always humid.

I could try that, but I don't think that would make a difference in this curl-inducing climate.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hi Ivory
I didn't even realize that was your post.

Well if you live in a humid state it won't work

I was just looking at Lavendar and she looks just like Gabriel..I'll see if I have a better pic of him than the avatar.
Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back