Good or Bad?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavenlyshelties

Reaction score
As you all know I have been talking to many holland breeders and started searching out of my area as many will deliver to shows and such.

One such place admits that they have so many rabbits born year round that they are constantly going to pet stores faster than they can be put up for sale.

Is thisa normal thing for rabbitry's or should I avoid a place like this? I admit I have yet to go out there to see their rabbitry, so I don't know.

Sound like they are breeding more than they can take care of!

I was always under the impression that they only keep the best rabbit from each litter and cull the rest?

I suppose thats why they sell them to the pet stores..so that they dont have to cull them.

I know many people who raise rabbits and show them and most people end up selling the non showable rabbits to a pet store..or putting them in a raffle at a rabbit show...just a better way to cull..But dont think all breeders cull because i find it quite rare.

FYI... "Cull" does not necessarily mean "Put Down".

Cull / Culling / Culled is a generalized term for many methods of removing an animal from ones herd. Some people Cull their excess to Pet Stores, some Cull to other breeders, some Cull to the commercial market.

I just thought I'd clarify that. ;)

~Sunshine

Oh, and as far as the thread topic...

Since I'm not familiar with this Rabbitries purpose or methods... I cannot judge whether or not it is "wrong". There are some Rabbitries that raise specifically for the Pet market. There are also some others that get carried away with their breedings that they loose focus on what their initial intentions were.

Personally, I don't agree with raising for pet stores. It it just my opinion. It does not mean there is anything really wrong with it though.

My suggestion to you is - How do you feel when you're communicating with them? What does your gut instinct tell you? If you feel uncertain or have second guesses - I would move on to someone else. After all, youwant to make sure that you're buying the best quality, healthy rabbit you can...give your money to those who deserve and have earned it with their hard work. ;)

Justkeep in mind- Quantity does not necessarily mean Quality.

~Sunshine

Latest posts

Back