Good hay on the internet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phinnsmommy

Reaction score
Hey!! Well the buns are on Kaytee Timothy hay, right now, and Im really unhappy with it (its way overpriced, and dusty) so I want to order some from the internet, but I dont know where to get it from.

Kleenmama's? Oxbow?

And also how much? My two bunnies are so-so with hay, they eat it, but they arent crazy for it. Im hoping they will eat more once I get a better quality.

Thanks!

Silvie:hearts:

Hi Guys,

I go thru several hundred pounds of food hay each month. I buy nealy all of my hay from two suppliers. Both are on the east coast and that helps with shipping costs to those of us on the right coast.

www.bunnybale.com

Bunny Bale hay is grown in the western mountains of Virginia. I have actually been to the farm and it is certainly beautiful country. The hay is the best I have seen and is very consistant. The Tingler's offer both timothy and alfalfa. They also offer something they call premium bales. It is the best hay you can ever find and is tightly compressed in a small bag. It's amazing how much hay they can pack in there. They also offer great hay racks too. They will send you a sample of the premium bale for the cost of postage. We have never been disappointed.

http://www.sweetmeadowfarm.com/

Sweet Meadow Farms is another provider of east coast hay...grown in New England. It is a little softer and has a great aroma to it. It is a very good hay that all of our buns love to eat. Al usually gets our order out the same day we place it and we have it from MA to NC in about 2 days. I found out about this farm from the people that run Sweet Binks Rabbit Rescue in RI.

These two suppliers provide nearly all of our food hay. I don't order from the other providers any more since the hay offered by these two farms far exceed the quality of the other "nationally known brands". The only time we use anything other than these two is when someone donates the other brands. The shipping costs are lower and the shipping time is less for those of us on the east coast. I have never been disappointed by any product from either of these growers....and neither have my rabbits and other critters that eat hay. The proof is having to refill hay racks several times per day.

Another option is to find the eqine community in your area. Try some of the hay they feed their horses. The digestive systems of rabbits and horses are quite similar. Both do need high quality hay with no mold. If you find high dollar horses...like show or race horses....inquire where they get their hay. I buy hay locally from a family that raises that hay for their show horses that are worth thousands of dollars each. I know I am getting high quality hay. It costs us less than $5 for a large square bale around 50-60 pounds. We use it bascially for litter boxes but the rabbits also love to crunch on it too...a bonus.

You can also contact your state department of agriculture. In NC...and I also know this is true in VA....the state has a web page thru their ag department for hay exchange...buyers and sellers. I have found some good hay thru this service too.

Randy

Those are some great ideas. I just posted on my local Craigs List asking for a supplier, as many in the area have horses.

I don't know a lot about Hay (Im so allergic to it, though) and next to nothing about what horses eat but your suggestions are great.

I primarily use local hay I get from a guy who has beautiful healthy horses. Its 3.00 for a 50lb bale of Timothyso you cant beat that!

Sometimes as a treat we get Kleenmama hay bc its so green and wonderful. American Pet Diner's Timothy hay is also amazing (those who had Winston and Vega at their house can vouch for that) but its very pricey.

For me, Kleenmama is the cheapest internet ordered hay and its wonderful. Get the Bluegrass- its just as healthy for our buns as the Timothy and so beautiful!

Heres a thread where we were just discussing this: Hay (scroll down)

Third cut timothy is usually the best and greenest.

If I were you though, I would get mostly bluegrass. Maybe 3/4 bluegrass and 1/4 Timothy. The bluegrass is much greener, broader and nicer hay.

I posted this in the other thread, but last time I got 30 lbs and it lasted me about 3 months with 6 bunnies. So 30 lbs would last you about 9 months or so. And it comes compacted in a garbage bag inside a cardboard box so it fits easily in a closet. It doesnt take up as much space as it sounds like :)

I usually love Oxbow, but lately it's been dusty and not as good. Maybe it's just where I am getting it?

Yeah the Oxbow at the pet stores here is all brown and nasty looking.

And..I found some pics stored on my photobucket that I took of my Kleenmama hay when I got it last time:

Timothy (see how its nice but theres some brown in it):

Bunnies030.jpg

Bluegrass (very green):

Bunnies031.jpg

I might try some of the bluegrass or something. I could mix it with some timothy for now just as a treat and then see how they do.

I get oat hay sometimes but Bo got real tired of that. Orchard grass has never been a favorite of his either...

Yup!

Timothy is just the most popular. Any kind off grass hay is just as good as Timothy and can be fed unlimited.

Alright, great!

Its kinda sad, the shipping cost more than the actual hay :headsmack

It will cost about 40$ for 9ish months, so thats still a crazy good deal!

Thanks so much Haley :hug:

Per Haley's recommendation on a former RO thread, we started ordering through bunnybale.com and Kleenmama's Hayloft. Kleenmama's bluegrass hay is really nice. (thanks Haley for suggesting that). I send a m/o to Linda at Kleenmama's and she ships pretty fast.

We try to mix 3-4 different types; BB, Kleenmama's, Oxbow when it's not dry or dusty, and local grown field grass hay. Today SRR Barclay was adopted and his new mom showed me a bag of Oxbow Herbal Hay which smelled really good!!:) But that may be saved for a special treat occasion...

When thin & healthy mixes of local grown farmer's bales can be found, I mix everything with the online-ordered hay. To stretch the budget and then not get our adoptables hooked on one particular type. Yes, they will search out their favorite hay and pull up their nose @ the lesser-liked stuff.

I do recommend the compressed bales from Bunny Bale. The bunns can instantly tell when I open the plastic bag ... their sniffers pick up the scent and go bananas. :)

We did have numerous hitchhiker sightings in a few 25-50# bulk boxes of timothy from Bunnybale however Karen T. answered our concerns on that. I actually prefer the compressed bales. Similar to Randy, our crew eats over 150 lbs. of hay each month. With my rescue time stretched, having UPS deliver it to our doorstep is a BIG help. hope this helps, TF Julie

m.e. wrote:
I love Farmer Dave's hay because I can buy lots for not too much, and the bunnies love to chow it down! (Rex loves his apple sticks too ;))

http://myworld.ebay.com/fmrdave/

I just found him whike browsing eBay. I bought a 3 pack combo he offered:

ONE EACH:

2nd Cutting Premium Quality Timothy Grass Hay
Apple Chew Sticks
Apple Slice Treats

Back