Going away

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amaru7

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a bunny, I've done plenty of research and the cost/responsibility I can handle, and a bunny sounds like the perfect companion for me. I just have one question before I go ahead with it - will a bunny be ok if I go away for the weekend? I know bunnies should be fed 2x a day, but if one weekend a month I go away can I just leave a little extra food for them? Or is this a major no no?

Thanks

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Well, will this be all the time or once in a great while? I wouldn't recommend you doing it all the time, actually, bun people may frown upon that a bit.

I personally have done it for 3 days more than twice. We have gone out of the state, and I have left tons of pellets, tons of hay, extra water in a big cup and clean litter boxes and they've been fine. I do not make a habbit of this at all. It can be done, if they are safe in their enviromment and eat and poo normally, which mine always do, thank the Lord. So, that is my experience.;)

not all the time...I'm just covering my bases before I make the committment

Many times breeders will go to shows and have to be gone from Friday afternoon - Sunday or something like that - its common to leave extra food and a huge bottle of water (I use 32 ounce bottles) and the bunnies are just fine....

However, they should be fed daily normally.....

Peg

Just this weekend I left Layla at home with my roommates. I was gone from Saturday morning until Sunday late at night. I gave her a bunch of extras, and my roommates checked up on her, saying she was fine. She wouldn't come out for them though! But as soon as I got home Sunday she came bounding out...a little angry I hadn't been around, but happy nonetheless!

I was extremely happy she was already somewhat 'attached' to me and knew I was gone!

Practically it can be done. My parents did it a few times with no problems at all. But I personally couldn't bear to leave my bunnies because I would be worrying the whole time that something would be going wrong.

It's really good you are doing a lot of research before getting a bunny :) That's the best way to go into it, very well informed.

Welcome to the forum too, I hope that we can help you here :)

Take care

Tracy

The longest I've ever left Sparky and Scooter alone has been about 18 hours. They were left with plenty of food and hay. They sure were mad though - they totally trashed their pen!

If I have to be gone over 24 hours, I have a neighbor (who also happens to be a bunny owner:D) who comes over twice a day to feed them and clean the pen. They also get running around time while the pen is being cleaned.

It's not something I would feel safe about personally.

Even if it's just overnight we have a neighbour who will feed them and change the water bottles for us. They own 2 bunnies too, and I'm bunnysitting them right now for 2 weeks. :)

But if others on here think it's fine and have tried it then I'm sure it's ok, maybe I just feel different because 2 of mine are outdoor buns. :)

~~~~~~~~~
~Michaela, Ebony, Pebble, Madison & Angel Bunny Berri~

Ditto. I would be petrified. The most mine have been alone is 10 hrs and I am freaking out.

Moominmoo wrote:
Practically it can be done. My parents did it a few times with no problems at all. But I personally couldn't bear to leave my bunnies because I would be worrying the whole time that something would be going wrong.

It's really good you are doing a lot of research before getting a bunny :) That's the best way to go into it, very well informed.

Welcome to the forum too, I hope that we can help you here :)

Take care

Tracy

Personally I wouldn't do it, just because rabbits can go down hill so quickly and if nobody is there to keep an eye on them they could get very illvery quickly - although this may to due to the fact I have two fussy bunnies who always become ill whenever I go on holiday.:shock:

Latest posts

Back