getting started

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zvonne

Reaction score
Hi I would like to get a bunny and need to knowwhat I should do to get started and what I need. what ist the best wayto care for my bunny. How often should he see the vet and should it beright away when I first get him.

I want an small well tempered bunny cuz I have a three year old. I wantto to have him indoors and I also want to litter train him and how hardis it.

is there a difference between genders that I should consider.

what is the best to feed him I here a balanced meal between pelets,fresh food, and some sort of fiber like hay is good. but do you put allthat in the cage at the same time. what bedding or lining is best forthe cage should I put hay in the bottem of the cage too. I hear so manythings to do and there is so many products out there I don't know whatto do. I don't want to buy anything I don't need and I want my bunny tohave a healthy inviroment

Welcome zvonne,

I'd strongly suggest you get your bunny from a reputable breeder or ashelter rather than a petstore. Petstores often times sellbunnies that are too young to be separated by their mothers, and don'talways know as much about rabbits as they should hence giving badinformation.

If you're in the U.S.A., you don't need to get shots for your rabbit,however you do in Australia and England. I do thinkit's wise to research a rabbit-saavy veterinarian because when you'rehaving an emergency, it's important that they know how to treat itquickly. Unfortunately, by the time a sickness reveals it'ssigns, the rabbit is in trouble because they're masters at hiding theirailments from predators. You'll need someone who knows whatthey're doing.

I prefer a wire-bottom cage with a drop pan underneath.Rabbits have to stay dry and having a wire bottom assuresthat. I do have a litterbox in the cage as well and clean itdaily. It's most important that your rabbit not have to siton soiled litter, and definitely don't use cedar shavings as when theurine mixes with the cedar, the fumes it creates is toxic to yourrabbit.

You should provide your bunny with a good quality pellet feed usuallypurchased from a feed store rather than a petstore. It shouldhave at least 12%+ of crude protein and 18%+ crude fiber.

I'd provide your three year old with a list of rules in having thebunny...not chasing it, scaring it, the proper way to hold it,etc. If she/he isn't good at following instructions, I'd waita year or two. Not all bunnies enjoy being held or cuddled,and you have to consider the chewing of wires, their inability to roamaround unsupervised without getting hurt or chewing something you don'twish for them to chew, etc. Be prepared to learn how to trimtheir nails.

I don't think it matters much of genders, but I've heard people saythat males seem to be better companions than females. Fromthe likes of the people on this board, you'll find that we all love ourrabbits and that each rabbit is different. Best to judge onpersonality, I would think. I have a girl and a boy and bothare absolute loves.

It's a good idea to always provide your rabbit with fresh water (beingthe most important part of its diet) as well as unlimited timothy hayto keep their systems flowing, preventing fur blockages, it helps theirteeth with the chewing, and generally, most rabbits love it.

Their teeth are constantly growing, so you should provide them with agood piece of hard wood. I use Apple, and there is a post onthis forum about bad treats for rabbits. In there, there's alink for safe foods for rabbits.

You might be better off getting a rabbit from a shelter because youwill get a sense of their personality if you really want one that ismellow.

In the summertime, my rabbits are provided with a placemat in theircages for a bit of bedding, and in the wintertime, they get little fauxfur rugs. These items are washed frequently and I'm able tocheck on my rabbit throughout the day so that if I notice they'resoiled, I take them out and wash them to prevent bacteria problems.

Spend some time reading the posts on the board and if you have any questions, hop right in.

-Carolyn

Hi,

I've heard that it may be good to consider a big bun for a little kid,because the little ones can be snappy and are pretty fragile. Big bunsrun around kids and play like a puppy. I had one large male Palomino(the late great Bunbun...I miss him so much) that kids could pick upand haul around like a big sack of potatoes. He adored kids, especiallylittle girls. But he was mighty special....sigh....

My experience with genders: males are bouncier, messier, like rougherplay (not always, though), and love women.Sometimes, you canget a really fussy and finicky male too. Female bunnies are oftenquieter (again, not always), cuddlier, and can be moody. Sometimes, youcan get a really aggressive female too. I've had several.

If you get them altered, you don't have to worry about this, but males spray a lot!

Personally, I love female Holland Lops (small cute) and male Palominos(very large easy-going). Really, a lot depends on your training of thelittle guy.

Palominos in general are my favorite! Bright orange color, droopy eyes,big ears, massive muscular square-ish bodies. Sweet, funny, mild,loveable. I am borrowing a big Pal doe right now that is kind ofintense, but she's pretty cute too.

Good luck!

Rose

Not all males spray, i only have one that spraysand i have over twenty rabbits.As to buying things you dont need saltblocks rust out the cage and are unnecessary.I reccomend a fully grownrabbit because you know what the personality is.For younger children myson who is 4 has a dutch,holland lops are great mini rex.newzealand,jersey woolies,fuzzy lops.I left out dwarf because i would notget one for a child this age.bluebird

First off, congratulations, and welcome to the world of bunnies!

I definately agree that you should never buy a bunny from a petstore.Working at a shelter myself, I am a little partial to them, but a goodbreeder is another way to get a great lil' bun.

I know of no specific breed that is good as a family bunny, but smallrabbits and small children are not good mixes. They just aren't. Ifyour three-year old is going to be anywhere near the bun, get a good,substantially sized one. I've seen too many terrified rabbits withbroken legs and other injuries from mishandling, usually unintentional,but always serious. Rabbits do not like to be picked up. A bigger bunnydiscourages your child from trying.

I would also suggest an older rabbit. Once they reach the age of three,rabbits really seem to mellow out a bit more. An older rabbit might bemore patient and relaxed.

Of course, I could go on and on about the care of rabbits, but I findthe House Rabbit Society (www.rabbit.org) to be the mostcomprehensive site out there for rabbits. Also, though I think it maybe temporarily out of print, try to find the House RabbitHandbook by Marinell Harriman, the founder of the House RabbitSociety. Very helpful.

Good luck. ~ M

I highly discourage getting a baby bunny, especially with a 3 year old in the house.

Baby bunnies are just like baby puppies and even baby humans.They are messy, not "potty" trained and prone to illness that theydon't yet have immunity too.

Once that baby hits puberty, those teenage years can be a nightmare.

I highly recommend checking out your local rabbit rescue organizationand look into getting a mature, socialized rabbit that would get alongwell with your 3 year old.

Good Luck!

Pam

Dr. Pam is so right. Babies don'talways have control over their bathroom behaviors and even though theycan be littertrained, they still can miss the box because of their lackof control over their muscles. Youngsters also do have atendency to chew, as a baby does to teeth, compared to older bunnies.

I completely agree with getting an older rabbit from ashelter. Your more likely to be able to getadisposition that you can rely on as opposed to being surprised to howthe baby's personality turns out. Besides saving a life, youcan often find a rabbit at a shelter that's beenspayed/neutered.

Let us know what you decide.

-Carolyn

If you're considering getting a Rex, they're nails are always sharp, so maybe not the best for a 3 year old.

Ours has a lovely personality, despite his little strops when he wantsout of his hutch, and hops round us and plays games constantly, but thenails are his main downfall. It's quite painful if hescrabbles about in your arms.

Carolyn wrote:
I completely agree with getting an older rabbit from ashelter. Your more likely to be able to getadisposition that you can rely on as opposed to being surprised to howthe baby's personality turns out. Besides saving a life, youcan often find a rabbit at a shelter that's beenspayed/neutered.

Make sure you get a history on the bunny, because often shelter bunniesare abused and neglected before being turned in. I know the ones I'veheld tend to stiffen when picked up, and kick. So be prepared to bepatient and build trust. Older bunnies have a harder time adjustingsometimes, but usually it's worth the effort!

I like getting babies because I'm used to all that toddler-teenagephases, and I can be sure they are handled in a way that makes it easyto handle them as adults. I make sure they aren't headshy and can beflipped over for nail clipping, etc.

But I've raised many bunnies and am used to that stuff. If it's yourfirst, itwill be ashock!So if you don'twant to deal with puberty, go with an older bun.

Good luck,

Rose

Latest posts

Back