Getting Cages for New Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariadnne

Reaction score
Hey guys, :D

I will hopefully be getting three new lionhead bunnise in the spring,:bunnydance:and I need your guys advice, should I buy metal galvanizedcages from martins cages.com like these or are there stackableones I can buy or would it be better or more cpst effective tobuild a hutch, I plan on keeping these guys in my garage its temp. isvery consistent with the house, and there protected from weatherinclimations, and I really don't want to keep house rabbits.and what kind of bedding should I use timothy hay or is there somethingelse more cost effective? what about good food brands?
by the way the pic of the cage is 18x24x14 and has a 1" 1/2 deep slide out pan.

Thanks a ton!! :colors:

I have changed the topic title so that peoplewho know more about what you're asking and read the thread. I know Ioften skip things if I'm in a hurry and all I see is "help" orsomething like that.

What cages you choose is really going to be up to you and what worksbest for you. There are any number of cages out there - but you knowyour budget and your space.

Some of my lionheads are in stackable cages with a pull out pan. Someof my lionheads are in black dog kennels with a small litter box intheir cage. Some of my lionheads are in non-stacking cages with pullout pans.

Personally, I love the pull-out pans. I like have same-size cages thatcan stack even if they technically aren't "stackable". I like doorsthat open outwards instead of inwards.

But those are all the things that I really look for in a cage.

Peg

where did you get your stackable cages? or are there plans I can see to build a triple one

Try KW cages or better yet, go to the AmericanRabbit Breeders Website and click on links...in there they have lots ofvendors listed...

www.arba.net

As far as size, make sure you get 24x24x18 at least for single rabbitsand a little bigger for does and litters. I like my stackersbecause they take up less room.

Sharon

I have both stack cages and single cage. All have pull out pans.

I would make sure that the pans that you get are duratrays and not

metal pans. The duratray pans clean up much easier and do not rust.

Before you order you cages online you might want to try going to a

rabbit show in your area. There are usually local suppliers of rabbit

equipment and they are usually less expensive and you won't have to

pay for shipping.

Roger

You dont need bedding if you are keeping them inthe garage.I like the metal cages with pull out trays.the metal trayswill not last as long as the plastic trays.I feed Purina,Buckeye isalso a good feed.bluebird

Great I checked ARBA.net and found a vendor.This price looks awesome it has a 2 1/2" pull out dropping tray threecompartments and everything, tell me what you guys think of thisone, the price looks reasonable to! now I just have to find outabout shipping......
~Ariadnne

link to cage I might buy, input please :D
I would get the first one in the list, the flat (what does that mean?) with urine guard

http://www.superiorrabbits.com/sup_housing.htm

Looks good to me...similar to what Ihave. Flat just means that you will have to assemble them soyou will need J-Clips and a pair of pliers to assemble the cages.

Sharon

The J-clips should come with the cage. Any knock down cages that I have

bought have had more than enough to assemble a cage. You will need a

set of J-clip pliers though.

I have bought products from Superior before and was very happy with

their service.

Roger

Great thank you! Anything else I should know about cage supplies, that rabbits like or I might neeed, beside the following,

Cage
Rest mat (for tired feet)
Water bottle
Food bowl
Nest box
J-clip pliers

I would make sure that the feeders that you use for pellets have

screens or holes in the bottom to let the fines and dust sift through.

For watering I like the EZ-crocks. They attach to the wire and the rabbits

can't tip them over but they remove easily for washing. Bottles work just

as well though but I think my rabbits prefer the crocks.

Roger

Latest posts

Back