gastric stasis recovery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattimeo

Reaction score
I lost my sweet Mattimeo to gs some years ago, so when my six year old mini-rex neutered boy stopped eating and sat rigidly grinding his teeth I shot to the vet like a rocket! Four weeks ( and a lot of cisapride, subdermal saline and Critical Care tube feeding) later, Shasta is hopping about, eaing his food and, best of all, grooming and loving his wife Immy, who has been very upset during his illness.

Has anyone had a bunny have a bad eprisode of gs and come all the way back? Should I expect disaster to strike? Everytime I come downstairs in the morning I prepare myself for what I will find - will it be two bunny faces pressed excitedly against the pen bars, waiting for breakfast, or just one. It's very stressful.

Shasta goes to the vet today for another check. He has been off cisapride since Sunday morning and this is his first day without Critical Care, so we'll see how his weight has held up, and whether there is still beautiful music coming from the bunny digestive system:)

My rabbit has stayed in the hospital for several days twice with this problem. Now when I see the symptoms beginning I give him simethicone first and thankfully it has always worked right away. This happened Sunday night and he was fine. I'm sure your rabbit will be too!

Kathy

GI stasis can be a real problem. The best way to keep it from being terrible is to make sure the bunny eats a lot of hay and drinks a lot of water (or gets water from veggies). When you start to see symptoms, simethicone can do wonders to stop things from getting too bad, and I always swear by having some probiotic on hand for any strange poop you see.

i recently went through this with my Wanda, i had her to the vets a few times, it was caused from a serious bout of pasteurella, i force fed her and tried everything to get her to eat and each morning i'd prepare myself for coming down the stairs in case she'd passed on or not. she survived, but she has not been very hearty since. she hasn't lost weight but her eating habits changed, and some days are issues for her not eating but otherwise she is fine. :pray: also because i had to seperate Wanda from Sophie the little bonding they had was lost...

hang in there, i understand how you feel, and hopefully your bun makes it through :):pray:

mattimeo wrote:
Thank-you! I hope that Wanda continues to improve and grows more robust. Shasta also seems more fragile than he was.

Want to give u a welcome to the forum!:D

You can also try feeding different kinds of hay, esp if they aren't big hay eaters. Orchard Grass if a fav here as opposed to Timothy.;)

But, that is key, making sure they are drinking and eating the hay, esp during a shed or molt, which is about now for many.

Latest posts

Back