Gastric Stasis Prevention Tip

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattimeo

Reaction score
My seven and a half year old mini rex Shasta has just come through a nasty gs episode (with much help from his wonderful vet!) In my ongoing crusade to promote more hay-eating I drove to the next city to buy four different types of Oxbow hay. They are all low protein/long strand (no alfalfa), but one has dried flowers added and one has immature oat kernels and one contains orchard grass. Anyway, the result is that Shasta and his companion Immy have been eating hay like maniacs! I am so relieved, as getting them to eat hay is not always easy. If you have a bunny who should be taking in a little more fibre you might want to look into these "gourmet" hays.

LOL yes, my guys especially love the oat hay, and I think it's good for when gas starts to form because it is coarser and more "stemmy" than the other types. Different cuts of timothy hay will also have different qualities--the first cut is coarser but can contain more weeds. The second cut is finer, and the third cut is quite soft (if they are able to get 3 cuts out in a season). Kaytee also makes some timothy hay with flowers or herbs mixed in (and one with dried carrots, but that would be detrimental because of the sugar). I always break out the oat hay when poos get funny.

I also ordered some other stemmy hays from Drs. Foster and Smith online--a mid of barley, rye, and oat hay I think was a favorite. It can be cheaper to order online than buy from the pet store.

Orchard grass is also a good choice for bunnies that don't like Timothy because it is sweeter.

I have also been brushing and grooming my rabbits a lot this fall to prevent them from eating their fur.I believe that it has helped alot althoughI must admit that it is a big job when you have a lot of rabbits.

Getting a variety of different types of choice hays is wonderful for your rabbits digestive tracts and also their teeth!:)

Latest posts

Back