Gas-related Questions...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I'm confused about bunny gas episodes and have some questions.

Most online articles and forum posts that I've read state that Simethicone (and tummy massage) can be given to break up bunny gas. Andthat's about all they say.

My rabbits' vet says that loud digestive/gas soundsis abnormal,as they indicate a problem (imbalance), which should be determined. Simethicone, in his opinion, is an aid to be used until one can speak with (or take the bun to) the vet.

I'd like to hear of others' personal experience with bunny gas, especially how seriously you treat it. (I heard Zoe's stomach from several feet away today and know that she's going through up-'n-down stasis issues, likely related to shedding.)

Thank you,

Jenk

I don't know in a serious case like yours where it is repeatedly critical, but usually if it's only gas from stress or a new food simethicone will do the trick. Usually in the cases where I've given simethicone and it has actually been gas, they get back to their normal selves a few hours after and there's no issue or reason to take to them to thevet if they've returned to acting, eating and feeling normal.

Although gas can also tag along with stasis, so if you treat just the gas and there's other stuff going on, just the simethecone won't cure the stasis, will just help the gas that has built up, so that might be what your vet means.

The cases of gas that I've dealt with have all been quite minor and a few doses of simethecone have always solved the problem when someone stops eating. It is usually the first thing I try once I notice someone is a bit off. Since from what I've heard, gas is quite common.

Spring wrote:
I don't know in a serious case like yours where it is repeatedly critical, but usually if it's only gas from stress or a new food simethicone will do the trick. Usually in the cases where I've given simethicone and it has actually been gas, they get back to their normal selves a few hours after and there's no issue or reason to take to them to thevet if they've returned to acting, eating and feeling normal.
That's where I get confused: I'm not certain if some of Zoe's issuesare "seriously critical." I have a hard time telling, since she's haddigestive issues from the get-go. (I've not known bun normalcy.)

AlthoughI've heard her tummy gurgles today, she's been eating her hay/veggies anddrinking a decent amount of water. Her poop production has slowed slightly (likely from shedding);I've been giving some her extrawater (via syringe)to keep her gut contents moistened.

Right now, Zoe's sleeping on her side (which I've thought indicates that a bun's comfy, but I'm open to be wrong on so many things :?).
Although gas can also tag along with stasis, so if you treat just the gas and there's other stuff going on, just the simethecone won't cure the stasis, will just help the gas that has built up, so that might be what your vet means.
I am sooo burned out on driving 40 min. to the vet's office. :( But I'll leave a message for him first thing tomorrow morning to see what he thinks about Zoe's situation.

...From what I've heard, gas is quite common.

Is that usually whenbuns try a new food, though? Zoe's not have any new veggie anytime recently. But since Emma's doing thru shedding/stasis issues, I suspect that's part of Zoe's condition (though she's still pooping).

stormshouse2.jpg

My Bun Stormy pictured abovehad his first bout with a bad case of stasis when he was 1 years old. The vet he had gone to was all about pushing him green stuff and cutting out other stuff. she had him on a good 5 medications. It was taking him forever to get well. (mind you this was before my current job Stormy is 8 years old now). Also he was spending his time in a cat ward, which yes is typical for most places that see cats and bunnies.

When they finally let him home, he was still dehydrated(After a week there) and his face was wet with very runny eyes. He started drinking water as soon as i set him down on the floor. And I did his tummy massages, He started to get better. and after about 4 days he was looking much better. We did not go back to the vet because I really did not like her attitude.

Instead the next time he went though an issue I was now working at a vet office that had a rabbit vet. we xrayed him to ind all of his intestines dilated with gas.

Stormy has to have simithicone when he gets like that. Turns out he is also allergic to cats, (I do not have cats myself, but he only had runny red puffy eyes while being around cats an hour or 2 away from them and he was fine).

Turns out though Stomy has a very sensitive digestive track, he can not tollerate any thing fresh and green, he had to stick to dry stuff, his hay, his pellets, oats, he can have papaya tablets, but not fresh papaya.

Now mind you this is not something we discovered all at once, it was through trial an error, Stormy is now 8 years old, and I have found what works best for him.

Each and every vet will have their own opinions about what is best for a rabbit, what drugs they like and what you should, and should not use. Some will take into account that one animal might respond better to one drug than another, others do the same exact treatment reguardless, because in their minds that's what works.

stormy wasn't getting better because the firstvet felt she had to cut all dry and only push fresh green stuff, Now another rabbit that might work for, but for him it does not. Just something to keep in mind.

Mind you I am also the mother to some who i swear could eat anything, iron clad stomachs...

Edited to add

Stormy averages atypically a slight bout of stasis when he molts at least once a year, I find pushing his papaya tables, and a few extra oats seem to geet him quickly though it. But they's just the way he is.

If she's still eating, pooping and seems ok, I don't think a vet visist is necessary :). Might just stress her out more. Some gut sounds are normal, good actually! Usually only when the loud gut sounds are accompanied by tooth grinding, constant change of position and lack of appetite is when it's concerning. If she's acting normal, still pooping and seems relax, she should be fine. Gut sounds mean somethings moving along and digestion is happening, a lot more concerning if stasis is suspected if you don't hear anything.

My little netherland dwarf would get gas due to stress a lot.. would cause her a lot of tummy troubles and digstive issues. Even taking her out for nail clipping would get her so upset she'd go into a bout of gas.

Latest posts

Back