Gas questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
So, today Maisie had to go to the vet, the thread containing info on it is this:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14684&forum_id=1

I have a few questions of you guys (the vet was quite thorough, thank goodness, but there are a few questions):

- How do you guys give your buns liquid medicine? The vet told me to wrap a towel around her, hold her or have her on the floor, and put the medicine in the space in her mouth between the front teeth and the molars (where there aren't any teeth). She said Maisie might spit some of it out, but that it would be okay. Does this towel idea really work? Maisie's not exactly the most tolerant bunny in the world, so should I wear gloves? (I would have my husband help, but turns out he has to go out of town for work tonight until late Friday night :(, so he won't be here to help, and I have to figure it out for myself.)

- She also said to give her simethecone (did I spell that right?). Is it okay to give her along with the medicine they gave me (metoclopramide)? How often do I give it to her?

I feel so lost...even with the data the vet gave me. She was quite thorough, but I still feel like we're not yet out of the woods. Am I just being paranoid from today's worries before she got seen?

It's okay to give the meds one after the other. You can give simethicone every few hours- it's a bit inexact but I have yet to find any documentation or rumors of simethicone side affects. It's very safe.

HoneyPot has some excellant syringe-feeding instructions in this thread:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11658&forum_id=16

From what I gathered, Maisie is still eating and pooping, just not as much as normal? She should be fine because she got quick treatment. Make sure that she's drinking lots of water though. Add wet veggies or flavored water to make sure.

Thank you so much, Naturestee, for all your advice. :) And thanks for your sweet words and for calming me down in the other thread. I needed it! :)

I'll be sure to get her more veggies tomorrow at the store (and I'll even try to give her some tonight), and give them to her wet so I know she's getting plenty of water. They'll also help move things along, right?

:)

Back