Gas or Bloat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evey

Reaction score
I first noticed that my 2 year old mini lop, Leo, wasn't acting like his usual self around 6 pm this evening. I only realized this when I went to give all of the buns their daily craisins, and he wasn't interested in them at all (he is usually scaling thecage for them).

So, I administered 1 cc of Simethicone each hour for the first 3 hours. Now I am waiting to give 1 cc every 3 or so hours. I have offered canned pumpkin, but he was definitely not interested in that either.I have been keeping an eye on him, and because heisn't drinking water or eating on hisown, Isyringed some pedialyte.

Around 12 am (about 45 minutes ago), Ibegan toget really worried. I think that his belly is bloated. Normally my bunnies pull out of theirgas by now. I took his temp., and it is 98.8 degrees F.Because it's lower than normal, I gave him awarm rice sock.

I am definitely going to call the vet in the morning andmake an appointment. Am I doing everything that I should be doing? Isthis something that constitutes anemergency? (if so, I could take him to an emergency vet about 45 minutes from me.) I am soworried about him! Right now he is lying down; every so often he changes positions--I bet it's because he's souncomfortable :(

Thank you,

Kathy

It is a bit strange that he hasn't come out of it yet. Try some tummy rubs. I personally would have a hard time sleeping tonight. This site http://www.vethelpdirect.com/index.php says you need to call the vet right now. I'm not 100% sure what I would do in this situation, mostly since I would be so worried.

You should probably call a vet and talk to whoever staffs the line at night. I notice you're in East Lansing, so definitely call the vet school at State if they have a clinic. I know our vet school has a line that they staff 24 hours and will call in an expert if needed. The people who staff our 24 hour line are vet techs and they can help determine if it's an emergency, if your normal vet doesn't have a 24-hour line.

It's important to keep his temp up and keep him hydrated. Things you can do at home are the rice sock, more pedialyte (I'd say up to 50 mL), more simethicone as needed, tummy rubs, and trying to keep him moving.

The rule we usually say is that not eating for 12-24 hours is an emergency, but of course the sooner you can get him in, the better.

Thank you, tonyshuman! I was just about to call MSU's emergency and critical care medicine # when he startednibbling on some hay! It is now around 6 am, and he looks more alert :)

I still think I should take him to the vet for peace of mind so I will call them at 8 when they open. I am just so happy that he looks a bit better.

Kathy

Update: I just took his temperature, and it's now 102.6 degrees F!!

I am SO relieved, and I now have the playpen set up attached to his cage. He is going back and forth from eating some hay to hopping around (such an improvement).

I am now wondering if there is anything the vet can even do? I will still take him if you guys think I should. Maybe she could still xray him just in case?

Kathy :)

Sorry for all of the updates, but he has pooped--a lot!

He is now eating pellets. The only thing that I haven't seen him do yet is drink on his own. However, I think in all my time owning him I've only been able to catch him drinking once :)

I am still conflicted about whether to make an appointment for sure...any advice would be appreciated!

Kathy

Kathy, I'm so glad he's feeling better. Are you home during the day to watch him? Then if you think he's not 100% you can contact your Vet.

My Buttercup had a little episode last night too. I gave him one syringe of the Simethicone, he came out of it pretty fast. Boy they sure know how to worry their Mommies and Daddy's.

Susan:)

Thanks, Susan. I hope Buttercup feels better today! Yes, I am able to stay home and keep an eye on him so I feel better about that.

I actually just called the vet's office to make an appointment (mostly because I am such a worry wart), and the vet won't even be in today because she has continuing education! Sheesh...well I think I'm going to go to bed for a while since I'm exhausted.

Hi Kathy. I hope Leo is still feeling better and that you got some sleep. If you still want to take him to avet today, I've used a couple others in the area (Clarkston-Cornwall and Linden-Stilson). I haven't used Dr. Stilson for anything other than an foot abcess issue though so I'm not sure how she would be with gas/bloat. It sounds like you have everything under control though so I hope you don't need a vet today.

I think that if he is eating and pooping and behaving with a normal temp that you took care of the problems yourself which was most likely gas.

This is one reason why it is so good to know what to do ; if he seems fine with no symptoms todayI don't think that you need a vet visit

I agree that he probably doesn't need to go to the vet. It sounds like he's feeling a lot better! Yay!

Thanks, everyone! I was able to get some sleep, and Leo is still doing great. I caught him drinking water so I'm hoping he is well on his way to a full recovery.

Kirstin, I forgot about Dr. Cornwall--thanks for reminding me! Donnie went to him for his neuter and snoring; I liked him, but he is so darn expensive.

I am so thankful for the GI Stasis article posted by naturestee in the library. I am also so glad that I have an emergency kit for the rabbits. They were both literally life savers.

May I ask a question (it may be dumb)? If Leo had a blockage of some sort (for example, Coroplast-which he loves to chew on), would it be pushed out with his feces or is it possible for the material to remain while he is still eliminating waste?

Thanks so much,

Kathy

I think that it would be eliminated but I am not absolutely sure. coroplast is plastic and it would be better for him to be chewing on something that would break down like cardboard if it was ingested
I don't know your set-up butI give each of my rabbits acomplete huge cardboard box. Most of my buns will work on a box for days shredding it apart, chewing holes and generally amusing themselves. When the box is destroyed I replace it with another.

Iknow one of my buns has chewed on the sides of the plastic grate on his litterbox (similar to what one of Jenks' girls did) and as far as i can see there has been no negative efects. But in the long run it would be better to have him chewing on something other than plastic.
Maybe ifI give you a link to toys that will help...

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12433&forum_id=17

It is actually the Coroplast that comprises the base and sides of their NIC cage. They have a bunch of toys and cardboard, but for some reason they are obsessed with the Coroplast. I am going to re-do their cage and take Kirstin's suggestion of placing the Coroplast sides on the outside of the panels instead of inside so they can't chew on them.

Kathy

Kathy, Im glad Leo is getting better. Is he still doing ok?

Tumnus and Lucy eat coroplast quite a bit and I havent had a problem. Sounds more like a boat of gas to me, which is normal this time of year. Max had it bad like that once and its so scary.

Keep me posted!

Haley, Leo seems to be doing great today! All of my bunnies have been shedding pretty bad for the last two months--perhaps the hair caused it then? I am still kind of freaked out about their Coroplast and sticky tiles and plan to re-do the cages this weekend when I have time.

Do you think it's ok to give him treats again? I bet he'd love a Crasin or two :)

Kathy

Latest posts

Back