Fur Mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamaor

Reaction score
So Ginger started to shed really heavily about 2 weeks ago. No bald patches as the new fur was coming in right where the old was falling out so she has looked pretty patchy. I was away this past weekend and when I came home I noticed a funny area at the base of her bum right above her tail very flaky crusty patches. Yep you guessed it Mites. So I took the girls to the vet. They where both given an injection of Ivermectin and will get another in 2 weeks.
I didn't take Kirby because he lives in a different part of the house and I figured he'd be ok. But now I'm thinking because he sneaks over into the other part of the house once in a while that he may have come in contact from the carpet or something.
He isn't showing any signs or symptoms as of right now.
So my questions are
Should I take Kirby in and get him an injection?
Also I've read on the RO about using Revolution do you use this simultaneously with the Ivermectin or in place of. Would Kirby be fine with just using this since he isn't showing signs?
Lastly what do I do with the carpets I keep vacumming and dumping the canister but is there something more I should be doing as well as cleaning the girls cage what do you recommend for washing the flooring in there. I have washed their blankets and keep alternating them

Thanks, Karen

Kamaor wrote:
So Ginger started to shed really heavily about 2 weeks ago. No bald patches as the new fur was coming in right where the old was falling out so she has looked pretty patchy. I was away this past weekend and when I came home I noticed a funny area at the base of her bum right above her tail very flaky crusty patches. Yep you guessed it Mites. So I took the girls to the vet. They where both given an injection of Ivermectin and will get another in 2 weeks.
I didn't take Kirby because he lives in a different part of the house and I figured he'd be ok. But now I'm thinking because he sneaks over into the other part of the house once in a while that he may have come in contact from the carpet or something.
He isn't showing any signs or symptoms as of right now.
So my questions are
Should I take Kirby in and get him an injection?
Also I've read on the RO about using Revolution do you use this simultaneously with the Ivermectin or in place of. Would Kirby be fine with just using this since he isn't showing signs?
Lastly what do I do with the carpets I keep vacumming and dumping the canister but is there something more I should be doing as well as cleaning the girls cage what do you recommend for washing the flooring in there. I have washed their blankets and keep alternating them

Thanks, Karen
Getting him checked can't hurt. Also maybe washing all the carpet with one of them carpet cleaners maybe get a pro in.

you could also rent a "rug doctor" or similar steam cleaner thing from the hardware store to clean the rugs.

edit: i added that because not everybody knows you can rent them and don't have to buy them yourself or hire someone to do it.

You use one or the other (revolution or ivermectin) not both simultaneously
Are your buns free roam and running about on the carpets?

You could treat Kirby with revolution but I would talk with the vet first.

We have had guinea pigs with fur mites at the shelter and sometimes the partner pig didn't even have them but was treated anyway; this was a really close living situation.
I am not sure how you deal with the rug but will try to find out for you....

Hi,

I would not use Ivermectin and Revolution at the same time. Revolution is fantastic. And you should treat your other rabbit as those little things can move around on your clothes or shoes.

Randy

Latest posts

Back