Fur missing now

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
Previous Post

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=47078&forum_id=16

So in light of this being said I started brushing him. Well today I found this.

The dark red line looks like a blood bruise. Its not dried blood on the surface. Its under the skin I cleaned it with benadine (sp).

SDC11057-1.jpg

SDC11061.jpg

(I have been brushing him with a zoom groom. He has his own his is blue Phoenix's is Pink. so it has not been used on another pet. I notice the fur thinning on his whole back and this is the center of the thinning.

His apitite has not change

He does not have fleas no cantact with any animals out of the normal ones.

Any info it is not crusty could this be the fact of me pulling some hair out by accident.

beta iodine,good stuff,but if another animal did not cause this ,if it is self inflicted,.my first response is a blood test to identify the problem,sincerely james waller

I also wanted to add that he is not messing with it at all. And he does not seem to be bothered even when I mess with it could I have brushed to hard or pulled some hair out when I plucked him.

I don't know. Sometimes if I pluck Muffin too much, she'll have bald spots with a bit of red irritation under the skin. I know Bo B Bunny has overgroomed with the ZoomGroom before, although I haven't been able to get any fur out with that brush that wasn't already ready to go.

Is the skin crusty at all? I know his diet is good, so I doubt it's a metabolic thing making his hair fall out. Is there any new fur coming in in the spot that's been thinning? It's surprising since the rest of the fur looks so good and shiny. His diet is good, he doesn't seem to have mites. It's possible it's just overgrooming during a heavy molt (if you can see some new fur coming in). However, it could be something worse. :(

tonyshuman wrote:
I don't know. Sometimes if I pluck Muffin too much, she'll have bald spots with a bit of red irritation under the skin. I know Bo B Bunny has overgroomed with the ZoomGroom before, although I haven't been able to get any fur out with that brush that wasn't already ready to go.

Is the skin crusty at all? I know his diet is good, so I doubt it's a metabolic thing making his hair fall out. Is there any new fur coming in in the spot that's been thinning? It's surprising since the rest of the fur looks so good and shiny. His diet is good, he doesn't seem to have mites. It's possible it's just overgrooming during a heavy molt (if you can see some new fur coming in). However, it could be something worse. :(

It is a tad flaky on the side but the main bold spot is soft. The redness looks like last time i brushed him and got a little bit of hair out. The thing that threw me off was the fact on the dark red line.

I tried to tug on the hair around the spot slightly to see if it would come out easy no luck it stayed. The rest of the molting seems to be normal. He has the very soft fresh hair under neeth. I did notice his nose hair thinning also. But it did that last molt also. I looked at his note book ity would have been right at 4 onths ago that he molted last time.

What are the few common possiblty it could be besides molt. Should I go ahead and put some revolution on just in case of mites. I have it on hand.

Here a couple of it with hubby helping take pictures

SDC11062-1.jpg

SDC11063-1.jpg

SDC11064.jpg

SDC11066.jpg

I am really puzzled; I don't know what is going on there? :expressionless
I never had a zoom groom

is there anyway to scrape a rabbit with one. ?

Ihave a furminator but barely use it because i think it could really hurt them if applied too hard...

Its a rubber type material. Don't know if you know what a kong is. But it is the same type of material. Made by the same company. I have a furminater also but scared to use it on him.

I rubbed it up against my skin and rubbing on bair skin it sticks. Like rubber sticks to skin. I have a real gut feeling its me brushed to hard and got a good chunk of fur.I have some neaosporin. He does not mess with it. It does not seem to bother him at all. I am going to keep it clean over the weekend.

I am going to watch it over the weekend and make a appointment on monday for the vet just in case. If I have to cancel I have to cancel better safe then sorry.

Note local vet off tomorrow.

I do see little hairs in the bold spot. So not sure if it is new growth.

Should I do a dose of revolution?

Yeah, if I irritate Muffin's skin, I just put neosporin on it for a few days.

Its not red today its the same color as the rest of his skin. The little bruise is still there but even that looks better.

I think I pulled his fur out man that the second time in 6 months i have done that. I feel bad it has to hurt hen I first pull the hair out.

He came up for his crazin today so he is not to mad at me.

When we've overgroomed Whiskers, he's gotten bald patches and some irritation. I've used neosporin, and he's never bothered the spots. New growth has usually appeared within a few days...not a full coat, but something that indicates that things are getting better. And, yeah, I always feel awful after I've overdone it. With a raisin or two, Whiskers is always willing to forgive and forget!:blushan:

Latest posts

Back