Found family of baby rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauraeh728

Reaction score
We need some help. We have uncovered afamily of six baby rabbits in our garden on Friday.Unfortnuately, all the covering they had is now gone. Therewere six babies and we do not know when they wereborn. Eyes are still closed. We tried to place someof the covering back over them, but it has not seemed tohelp. We saw the mommy a few times Friday beofre the nest wasuncovered and once on Saturday. Over the weekend, two of thebabies died and then our dog found the nest and killed thethird. We have not seen the mommy again. I could not bear towatch them starve and possibly be killed by the dog. When we calledaround, we were told that the chances are slim that they will survivewithout Mom.

Today, I bought a little house for the three remaining babies, put somegrass in the boxand have fed them some of the KRM.We saw on this site to feed them this with a syringe and feed thembased on their age.

Should we put anything else in their box?

If they don't eat all of their dosage, should we try again in a coupleof hours? When I called a rescue center, they siad to feedthem 5cc every two hours. Based on what I saw on this site,that seem like an awful lot.

If their eyes are closed, how do you tell their age?

We have been wearing gloves, is this necessary? I was told it would bea good idea since they can have viruses, menengitis and I am pregnant.

Is it okay for the kids to pet them?

How long should we keep them and at what point do we turn them backinto the wild. Is there any place that might take themin? We are in Frisco, Texas.

I know it is clear that we know nothing about these animals, but we want to the best for them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. We have read the replies from some of the other messages.

Laura

Since you are pregnant, I would be very careful inhandling them and be sure to wash well afterwards (the gloves are agood idea). If the babies begin to stress and become ill,they quickly propagate harmful bacteria in their gut including E. coli.

The children may pet them, but be sure to have them wash their handsafterwards. The most likely transmission of any disease isthrough bite or scratch wounds (as well as the fecal material orurine).

You'll find some very helpful info on how much to feed on the HouseRabbit Society websitehttp://www.rabbit.org/faq/

The bunniesshould begin munching on grasses soon,as their eyes open at about 10-12 days. Once they areactively hopping and eating, they may be released.

Good luck with the baby bunnies and good luck with *your* new baby!

Pam N.

Latest posts

Back