Found baby bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdperry5

Reaction score
We found some baby rabbits in our front yard thisevening. One was dead and covered with ants, and two werealive with a lot of ant bites on them. Their eyes are stillclosed. I went to the pet store before it closed and got somesyringes and some replacement milk. Canyou tell mehow to care for these little guys?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Pic attached.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh i had the same situation a few wks ago......idug up a rabbits nest by accident...i found 5 babies but 1died. I took them into my house... i found em on a Fridaywell i called a fewnatural rehab places in my area noonecalled me back. I started feeding emkittens milkw/ a eye dropper about every 4- 6 hrs...well by sunday i still wasntsure what to do i called a vet hospital was told i had to rub therebottoms w/ a cotton ball to stimulatethem so theywould go to the bathroomfeed em every fw hrs etc...I wasnt sosure i was up for all of this so i found a girl at the animal hospitalwho was gonna take em i called her back at 6 and she told me it wasbest that i placed em back in the nest a woman from a rehab placetoldher they needed there mommas milk some thing in her milkhelped w/ there "guts" i dunno maybe certain enzyme's? Anywayi put em back but unfortunalty they froze to death :XI foundem the next am still where i had placed em dead.I had toatleast try to give the mom a chance to get her babies back if she wasaround. In my case it failed it was nature taking its course iguess.If i where you id put them back where youfound emthe mom may still be around id cover em up real goodw/ some hay or dry grass......they have a slim chance of making it inyour home.....but if you see after a day or so she isnt around id takeem back in and call someone to care for them or start to care for themon your own. Best of luck to you!

Check through the posts there is another womanhere whos rabbit had babies but died right after she is raising the 11babies herself and they are all still doing well at hte last checkin!! Good Luck!

The post is called "newbornes Help" originally by KPC. Lots of great info in there!

Thanks for your help. I found the otherpost last night after I posted mine. The babies are stillalive this morning, and seem to be doing OK sofar.I forgot to mention that the ants are FIRE ANTS. The smallestof the two is covered on its belly with bites, and the larger one has aswollen eye (probably from an ant bite, but not sure). I amworried about the amount of ant poison that they may havereceived. We are afraid that if we put them back out in theyard, that the ants will get them again. Also, my husbandfound the nest last night and disturbed it by looking for morebabies. I'll keep you posted.

Aww, usually I'd say put them back but not if they're going to be attacked by evil fire ants!!! I hope the little ones make it!

YUCK!! Well in that case id try to carefor them on my own....i was doing feedings every 4- 6 hrs...but as iread in here i seen the momma only feeds in the am and pm? I also useda low heatingpad for them then put them on a blanket and thencovered them up so they kept warm. If i had it to do over iwoulda keptem then set em free when they gotolder....Owell keep us posted im courious to see if they makeit!~

I don't know what kind they are, some type of wild rabbit. I will see if I can find out.

UPDATE: The bigger of the twodiedearlyMonday morning. I took the other one to a vet that is adrop-off location for the wildlife rescue as soon as they opened onMonday. They got the baby to eat and he did ok that morning, but hedied during the night. We are still amazed that there was arabbit nest in our yard. My husband recently treated for fireants, but every time it rains, the ants move their mounds.

We miss the babies. The kids named the big one "George" and the little one "Oompa-Loompa".

banner.png

I'm so sorry, rdperry5. I totally missed this post.

Wild baby rabbits are so hard to keep alive. Even domestic ones are atthat age. You did the right thing and at least these little beautieshad names.

I know how quickly you get attached and wanted to express my sympathy for their passing. They'll be waiting for you in Heaven.

I wouldn't be surprised if you have other rabbits around. Not from thatlitter, but Mom could be out and about and so could others.

I'll say a special prayer for you to feel the comfort and love you so willingly gave George and Oompa Loompa. I'm so sorry.

-Carolyn

rdperry5 wrote:
Idon't know what kind they are, some type of wild rabbit. I will see ifI can find out.

UPDATE: The bigger of the twodiedearlyMonday morning. I took the other one to a vet that is adrop-off location for the wildlife rescue as soon as they opened onMonday. They got the baby to eat and he did ok that morning, but hedied during the night. We are still amazed that there was arabbit nest in our yard. My husband recently treated for fireants, but every time it rains, the ants move their mounds.

We miss the babies. The kids named the big one "George" and the little one "Oompa-Loompa".

Sorry to hear about the babies rdperry :(

Pam N.

Im sorry to hear about your loss.....i know howeasy it is to become attached to them me and my daughter cried when wehad to put ours back and they all diedand we only had em for2 1/2 days. I couldnt talk about the "babies" for a good wk or so without my eyes swelling up with tears. But we did burry them in the gardenwhere we found em off to the corner and placed a bunny statue on top ofthem :)Give yourself a pat on the back for what you have donethey are not easy to care for!Trust me my neighbor told me iwas doing more then she'd ever do!!

Ihave a question...........we recently fixed ourgarden. I now have 3 bigger rabbits running aroundin my garden again....does anyone know if wild rabbits nest in the sameplace for each litter? Id be thrilled if they do we are done digging inthere besides to plant veggies w/ a smallshovelthats about it. Alsowhen dowildrabbits stop mating late summer??!! Or do theyever lol :?

Latest posts

Back