For Those of You Who Feed Your Buns Vegetables ...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommy

Reaction score
What do you use to wash the vegetables (specifically greens)?

I've been using Dawn dishwashing liquid. I soak for fiveminutes and rinse really well. I'm wondering now if there maybe some residue still left on the greens even if I rinsewell.

I give Oreo some parsley as a treat. I buy it atthe store but I don't wash it with soap, i just rinse it well with coldwater and rub the leaves gentley with my fingers. I'm not sure if thesoap would leave a residue or not.. I think it might get absorbed alittle bit maybe?

~pam

Pam, you hit the nail on the head of the issuethat I was raising. It would seem to me that therewould be some absorption. Not sure.

I have an idea that might help to see if itabsorbs or not. Maybe try taking a small sample of whatever greensyoure going to feed to Sherman & add food coloring (a darkcolor like blue orpurple)to the soapy water whileit's soaking & then after you finish rinsing it off see if thecolor of the leaves change at all.

I'm not sure if there will be a noticeable difference or not it justreminded me of the old celery trick where you stick a piece of celeryin colored water and watch it change lol whether it works with thingsother then celery, would be interesting experiment to do to find out :D

~pam

Why use soap to wash veggies...all I've ever usedis water...seems to do the trick...I haven't died yet.... lol. Meganrefuses to eat veggies...she doesn't like them :( She only likes faketreats from a box!

MBLM, I use soap because I want to make sure thatI get off any residual pesticides, dirt, and wax so Sherman doesn't eatany contaminants.

i feed my rabbit mainly vegatables. i only usewater to thoroughly rinse mine. but if you really want to wash them iknow they sell a special wash (at the grocery store i belive)soacifically for vegatables. its non toxic and totally safe!!!!!!

The soap you can buy at stores to wash veggies isan expensive rip off. It's not better or safer then normal dish soap.You must be extra careful to wash soap off because soapactuallyis in agroup of thingsthatcausescancer if ingested, in people forsureand probably animals, too. I just take a scrub brush andbrush carrots, etc. thoroughly before feeding them to my bunnies.

We've always washed our salad greens by soaking in the sink and/or running under cold water, depending upon type of green, then spinning in a salad spinner. Spin, drain, spin again, drain! Greens are spiffy clean and less apt to wilt. By storing them in a tupperware container, they often last a week or more without spoiling. The key is the salad spinner's ability to get rid of the excess moisture, then the cold ofthe refrigerator just seems to crisp them.

If you've never used a salad spinner, they are more than worth the effort in terms of the results they produce. We often see them at yard/tag/garage/flea market sales going for a pittance because people usually classify them as not worth the effort, along with banana stands, thigh masters, and blooming onion cutters. Not so, for those of us who enjoy a lot of greens, bunnies too!

Of course, easier way is to buy the pre-washed mesculin mixes, some of which are tasty, but we like things like, arugla, mustard greens, dandelions, spinach, escarole, bok choy, cilantro, etc. in our own salads. The buns most frequently get the salad "bones" after cleaning and tearing off the leafy bits of the greens.

Buck

Oh, Buck, what a great idea! I forgot about the salad spinners! I'm going to run out tomorrow and get one.

I usually soak the greens for five minutes or so in soapy water madewith Dawn dishwashing liquid, rinse them really well, bag them infreezer bags, and put them in the produce bin in therefrigerator. That way I don't have to wash eachday; I only have to measure out his food. I'm ableto get about a week to a week and a half out of them before they startto wilt. With that salad spinner I may be able to extend therefrigerator life to about two weeks or so.

Sherman gets a wide variety of leafy greens and this will help to make the process easier.

Hey, Laura! Thanks for this info! :)

Yes, I knew that soap was a carcinogen. That's why I want tomake sure that all of the residue is off of the greens before I givethem to Sherman. I'm going to try that "test" that pamela227 suggested on tomorrow and see how it goes.

Hmmmm, JR, sounds like a good idea! ;)

As a matter of fact, we buy Sherman's vegetables from Harry's Farmer'sMarket which sells organic vegetables, so maybe my full dunk in thesoapy water is overkill ...

Latest posts

Back