Foot Bump

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowball03

Reaction score
Yesterday, while I had Snowball in his play area, I noticed that he had a bump on his foot. I tried moving his fur, but wasn't able to see it very well. It looks a little red, but that's the best description that I have of it.

I found this image online and it looks kind of like what I'm seeing on Snowball:

Photo094-1.jpg

I worry that it may be the start of a sore hock. Upon research, I read on http://www.rabbitnetwork.org that I should put New-Skin on it and allow it to dry before letting him run around or anything of the sort. I was wondering if you guys had any other tips or suggestions that can help me out with this situation.

Also, I read that they should have good traction. Do any of you put bedding or some sort of material down for your rabbit to run on? I tried bedding when I first got him, but he only associated it with his litterbox...

Any and all help is much appreciated!

What kind of cage bottom does he have?

If it's plastic, do you use cardboard for traction? or anything else? I don't know how he would get sore hocks from plastic.

Does he sit in his litter box? alot? or just when he uses it?

He has a plastic bottom to his cage and nothing like cardboard is on it.

He sits in his litterbox, but he rarely just hangs out in it. He usually uses it for its main purpose and munches on the minimal amount of hay I have in it. I have a bowl of hay on the other side of the cage for him to eat as well.

For his play area, however,the bottom is vinyl flooring. But I'm not sure if that would cause a problem or anything...

I don't know howhe would have gotten a sore. My buns have the same flooring as you. They had a vinyl flooring til they ate it. Nowtheir on Coroplast which is a plastic.

Is it on both feet?Or just on one? maybe he should go to the vet. Hopefully someone with more experience can help you.

Hope your bunnies foot will be ok :)

It's only on his left foot. And that's what I don't understand either. I was wondering if maybe it's just a bruise...He has been known to run like a little maniac in his play area...

But thank you for the help anyways! I really appreciate it!

Where does Snowball have his pay area? If it is outside, he may have hopped onto something and poked himself, not enough to make it bleed but enough to make it a bump.

One of our members had a bad experience with New Skin. You can read about it here:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=47857&forum_id=16

A small light pink bald spot is probably okay. If the spot is red, swollen, or cracked, then I would be concerned.

Some members use preparation-H on sore hocks to relieve the inflammation.

Sometimes a hard surface can give a bun sore hocks. If he won't chew on it, you can try giving him a piece of fleece to sit on.

Here is the information we have in the library section about sore hocks
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11953&forum_id=10

--Dawn

Well, it really depends on the bunny. Some react poorly to carpet, some react poorly to hard surfaces and others is cause by things like wire flooring.

If you think about what a rabbit's natural floor is, it's grass and dirt. A variety of softness and textures. So a hard surface is not what their feet is designed for.

All of my buns are on a linoleum floor, and do fine. I do check their feet and give them pieces of grass mats to sit on. However, if one of my buns developed soar hocks, I would start experimenting with different flooring or providing soft blankets, trying different litters.

--Dawn

Snowball03 wrote:
It's only on his left foot. And that's what I don't understand either. I was wondering if maybe it's just a bruise...He has been known to run like a little maniac in his play area...

But thank you for the help anyways! I really appreciate it!
Your welcome! Maybe the vet should take a look to make sure it's nothing more than a sore hock. :) Ecspecially if it's bumped up.

I've seen this condition occasionally in rabbits. It often develops into an abscess (which may have already happened) so needs to be carefully watched or checked by the vet. It seems to be a pressure type sore that gets infected.

Pam

Good advice already. Pam, why do you think it's a pressure sore and not a sore hock? It looks like a healed sore hock or one that's just starting to form to me.

I find that it's important to keep bunnies' feet out of their wet litter, so I put plastic canvas (from craft supply stores or wal-mart) down on the litter. The pee goes through and then they don't have to sit in wet litter at all.

These seem to be pressure sores that develop towards the sides of the feet and often become infected. Regular application of non-staining iodine can help to keep the feet clean and free of infectious microbes.

Pam

I see. I also use udder creme because it helps heal the skin and is antiseptic. It's also something some people have at home. Of course, if you have to buy new stuff, the iodine would probably be best.

aurora369 wrote:
One of our members had a bad experience with New Skin. You can read about it here:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=47857&forum_id=16

A small light pink bald spot is probably okay. If the spot is red, swollen, or cracked, then I would be concerned.

Some members use preparation-H on sore hocks to relieve the inflammation.

Sometimes a hard surface can give a bun sore hocks. If he won't chew on it, you can try giving him a piece of fleece to sit on.

Here is the information we have in the library section about sore hocks
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11953&forum_id=10

--Dawn

Right now, it only appears to be pink. Should I be putting anything on it or just keep watch over it?

It doesn't seem to bother him at all, he's been running around and jumping on it like normal.

Thank you for the links and help!

pamnock wrote:
These seem to be pressure sores that develop towards the sides of the feet and often become infected. Regular application of non-staining iodine can help to keep the feet clean and free of infectious microbes.

Pam

Should I do anything after applying that to his foot?

How would he be getting pressure sores too?

In some cases, the cause is a hereditary predisposition. Experimenting with different types of flooring can be helpful in finding one that alleviates the pressure. I like the plastic slatted resting mats.

The most important thing to do is to get an accurate diagnosis from the vet to determine if there is infection, or if the bump is actually bone growth.

Pam

Latest posts

Back