Food question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightPoet00

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that rabbit foodloses nutritional value somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks? Is this true?I only feed my rabbit a tiny amount of pellets everyday, so it seems awaste to buy a whole new bag every 2 months since I hardly use it tobegin with. How long does rabbit food last (and remain healthy andnutritious)?

Thanks!

Beth

I use Oxbow pellets which are a really great food for them. They actually put an expiration date on the bag.

Recommendations I've read said don't buy feedthat is three months old or more. A Blue Seal CSR told me acouple of years ago that freezing feed should permit it to keep itsnutritional value for up to a year.

I buy feed in 50 lb bags for our six buns because the particular feedonly comes packaged in that size. The Missus gives me"freezer room" for the feed, oats, sun flower seeds, and parrotfeed(buns like it as a treat). I simply place the 50 lb bagin the freezer, as is.

On an as needed basis, I fill air tight tins(used to hold potatochips), with feed, to be dispensed to the buns. I "roll" thetop of the feed bag "down" to the new level in the bag and secure withthree or more clothes pins. The bag is then replaced in thefreezer until I have to refill the tins.

The oats, in 50 lb bags also(because it's least expensive for me), arerepackaged by me into 10 lb(roughly) plastic bags obtained from storebought hay, like Ox Bow or Kaytee. I place 10lbseach into fivebags, "roll" the tops down, andstaple across the "sealed roll," and in the freezer they go.Individual bags are opened to refill my oat dispensing jar, then"resealed" and returned to the freezer.

Sunflower seeds and parrot treat are simply frozen right in the clearplastic bags the feed store places them in when I buy it in bulkform. They are just tied off with a twist tie because I'monly buying 2-5 pounds of each at a time. I dispense each ofthem into their own dispensing jar.

Everything seems to keep well. Being frozen also mean no bugswill get into any item and spoil it, like the time I lost 40lbs of oats to some kind of insectsbecause I used tostorethem in my shed and not freeze them. I alsomaximize cost effectiveness for my little herd of bunnies.

Buck

Back