flying bunny's

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawn

Reaction score
Does anyone know about taking bunnies on planes? My Boyfriend and I may be moving from Mass to FL in the fall to take care of his grandfather. I will not go unless I can bring Buster with me. My sister in Del wants him but I would rather keep him with me. He will have about the same space to run around in as he does now. He would still be an indoor bunny safe from the gators and heat. I can drive down with him or fly down with him. He does ok in the car but I think he gets scared of all the noise and bumps in my Jeep wrangler. I am thinking a few hrs flight might be better than a long 2-3 day jeep or truck ride.

I think carry on is $75+

A vet certificate is required (don't listen to the person on the phone that says no vet certificate is required for rabbits) -- when you actually get to the airport, you'll often get a different story and not be allowed to fly without the vet certificate.

The cost of shipping has gone way up, and total cost with vet certificate and shipping crate usually costs about $200. My friend's mother just shipped a cat here to PA (from Florida)at $176 for air-fare alone.

It's best to ship in a cat/dog crate, although most rabbits are usually shipped in wire carriers (but they must have a closed top).Water will spill, but you can put a carrot in so bunny has something to munch on during the trip that will help them stay hydrated.

Also -- Very important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They strictly adhere to the rule of **no** flying animals after May 15 due to the warmer summer weather.

Pam

I am a travel agent and depending on his size he can stay with you in the cabin. I would be afraid to put on in cargo. I have done dogs in cargo but I feel it would be hard on a bun. If you would like I could find out which airlines would allow in cabin

Our daughter's rabbit, Calbert, arrived in NJ in March as air cargo from California at a cost of $150.00. He traveled in a plastic carry case that one sees for sale at any petstore, like Pet*Smart or PetCo.

Daughter added moisture laden vegetables (like Pam suggested), and a small box of feed, that had a slot cut into it, so that it acted like a"shaker" if the carrier and/or Calbert had occasion to move it about. She included a water bowl, with instructions to offer Calbert water if the flight were significantly delayed, taped prominently to the exterior of the carry case. His home address, phone numberandsimilar destination information was also attached to the exterior, as well as his veterinarian's health certificate. We were pleased with her preparations, and the care United Air Cargo gave Calbert, by bringing him into their offices at Newark International Airport, instead of leaving him in the cold cargo warehouse. His flight had been chosen so that his arrival would permit us to collect him without the necessity of leaving him at the terminal overnight, which could happen if one did not choose flight times appropriately.

We also have flown a rabbit in the passenger compartment of an airliner, Continental, I believe. Previous arrangements have to been made, as most airlines would only permit a maximum of two animals per flight. We had to provide a "soft" animal carrier, looked like a gym bag from Wal*Mart, that would fit underneath the seat and no problems at all were encountered. That flight only cost $60.00, but that was several years ago.

We frequently make the drive to Nashville, TN (1000 miles) with ourbuns. If I were driving to my destination, and had the room for cage(s), that would be my preference. None of our buns have seemed to suffer from the experience, and we usually have done it with four or five buns. Florida would only be another 500 miles or so, and maybe another day. I can't imagine that providing the buns any threat to their health and well being.Just don't leave the bun in the heat without air-conditioning. An extra ignition key would permit you to leave the locked SUV running, and safely parked if you leave it where you can see it during meal or gasoline fill-up breaks

Buck

Thanks all for the info.:D Hes only 4lb dutch so Ithink I could take him as carry on.We are not moving till Novor so. We have to wait till are leas is up in mass. Plenty of time toplan it all out. I have always lived in mass somoving toFLkind of scares me. Buster was on the top of the MUST bepacked. I am thinking we might end up driving Buster andMyBirds and My fish I have down in my Boyfriend Truck a little smotherthan the Jeep. I was willing to give up the fish even thought I havehad them 2 years but he said we can hook up a heater and filter forthem that runs off the truck :DWhat a guy!!

We just booked our daughter's bun on the flight toCalifornia with us on Continentalfor $80.00. No onesaid anything about a certificate of health, but we may do it anyway,just in case.

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
Wejust booked our daughter's bun on the flight to California with us onContinentalfor $80.00. No one said anything about acertificate of health, but we may do it anyway, just in case.

Buck

This is Continental's written policy (from their website)

[*]Continental and the USDA requires that your pet have a HealthCertificate issued by a veterinarian dated within 10 days of travel forboth the outbound and return trips.

They don't always check, but it would save you the trouble of not being allowed on the plane.

Pam

Follow Buck's advice and get a vet certificate. Ishowed dogs and we traveled all over the world and very rarely were weasked for paperwork but if asked you must have it so it is alwaysbetter to be safe than sorry

PLEASE say I am misreading and having a panicattack here for no reason :shock:, and I can take mygirls home with me sometime in the summer if I pay the extra and theyare CARRY ON ? This NO pets flying during the summer months is only ascargo?

please, please, please-I thought I had been such a good "mom" and didmost of my homework I dont want to know I overlooked such a thing...

We're flying Calbert back to California on June17th in the passenger compartment of a Continental flight, so I wouldsuspect that the exception primarily refers to cargo for the cargowarehouses are not climate controlled in any manner, if United AirCargo represented the norm.

United Air Cargo personnel at Newark International Airport were niceenough to bring Calbert into their heated office back in March, as wewere enduring quite a cold, nasty winter.

I would be certain, Cher, that there are noquarantinerequirements for the importation ofrabbits to the U.S. from countries located outside NorthAmerica. The UK, I believe, needs the animals to bequarantined for six months prior to permitting entry. Thereprobably isn't, because people do import rabbits from Europe, butbureaucracies being what they are, better forewarned, and, therefore,forearmed.

Buck

Mr.Buck, I be a Canadian citizen :p

I have done my homework and looked into bringing them home, and havestarted the process as we speak-it takes a month MINIMUM for the paperwork -first I have to apply for an entry permit, next yadda yaddayyadda..ohhhhhh the process BUT worth every moment if I do say so!

Thank-you though, I was seriously having slight rising and falling ofchest activity (henceforth referred to as a mild heart attack) so toboth of you-thanks for the reassurance now I may get on my littlemountain bike and peddle home to mah children..

Most airlines participate in the summer embargo,even for carry on. US Air may be one of the few that doesn't(the last time I checked into it -- this may have now changed).

My friend's mother had to end up shipping her cat this weekinadvance of her own flightbecause she was informed she wouldnot be able to carry the cat on the plane after May 15.

Professional shippers with airline contracts may still participate in summer shipping.

Pam

Forgot to add this-- the airline refusedto let the cat be shipped without an acclimation certificate (eventhough it had it's vet certificate). Luckily they were ableto have the vet fax an acclimation certificate to theairport. I would highly advise also remembering tohave the vet fill out an acclimation certificate when taking your petin for it's vet certificate for shipping. Also remember thismust be done within 10 tens of the flight.

Pam

ON NO YOU Don't Mr.Buck: you dont get outta thisone sooo easily *grin grin* any extra advice and warnings arecompletely appreciated and welcomed-this is my first time flyingoverseas with my girls so...........I need to know all the "what if's"

My friend's mother had to end up shipping her cat this weekinadvance of her own flightbecause she was informed she wouldnot be able to carry the cat on the plane after May 15.

OK this cat thing is getting out of hand ;) I have to takecare of the huge fat cat mentioned above. Excuse me --- butshe has to have *ice* in her water??? :p Thank goodness herown personal dishes finally arrived from Florida (addressed to herroyal highness of course). She has taken over my friend'shouse and lounges around like a queen! Of course,the air conditioning has been turned on for her.

What a life! I wish I was that cat LOL

Pam

Thought I'd bring this back for LuvaBun.

Although it's not directly going to answeryour questions, youmight find it interesting.

You'll have to keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Bringing this up for Binky Bunnies...

-Carolyn

Good Gravy! This post seems soooo long ago, buthopefully it helps. I'll tell you what I did find with the airline Iflew-----> cats, dogs and birds were allowed as cabin carry-ons,alas, bunnies were not to my chagrin. If I wanted them cargo, I was notallowed to do that myself but had to book it through an authorizedshipper. Which I might add, for overseas costs a purty penny! When andif I go back (keepin all paws crossed on this one) I have a travelagent here already looking into the various airlines for differentoptions available.

Cher and her world travelling bunnies :p

Latest posts

Back