Fly Strike!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAK Rabbitry

Reaction score
It just so happens I read that post like, 4 days ago.

And I take out Crow to pick the loose fur off his butt roll and I'm pulling small mats of his tail and eek, I noticed crawlies! on his testicles! crawlies on his bawlies! It was so gross. So I immediately called my vet and I have an appointment in less than an hour.

I'll let oyu know how he's doing but any advice on treatment and such would be great. I read the post so my vet knows what to do. It mentioned not using a wet towel in the event that the vet has to shavet he area but there's no fur in the area anyways.

I have severeal fly strips hanging up in my rabbitry already but hte flies have just been so bad this year. I'm goign to try the vanilla extract thing.

It also mentioned that herbs with a strong odor repel insects....would catnip work?

-JAK

Washing the butt area with fresh smelling dishsoap helps to deter flies. There are a number of different species. Some are smaller maggots that just feed on the fecal material - others eat the flesh.

Pam

I'm not kidding when I say this: Pamolive. Buy some Pamolive and bathe the butt in that.

Palmolive the dish soap or Palmolive the bar soap?

Has anyone tried the vanilla extract thing?

Crow is alright for now, they said it hadn't spread that bad. He was suc ha champ and layed on his back the entire time without a single complaint Whielt he vet buzzed a whole bunch of hair (just to make sure it hadn't spread) and then plucked a bunch of wormies off, and then ran a hair dryer over it to see if she could get any to surface.

She says she thinks we got them all but to keep an eye on it and she gave me some stuff to clean him with.

I absolutly HATE flies so here is a sure thing recipe to keep them away I use it personally.

1 Gallon water

2 Cups Vinegar

2 Cups Mouthwash (Any band will do but I use original listerine)

It runs off fleas & and flies I spray down the whole rabbit room walls floor (my floor is dirt) it also is good for fungus. and cost about $6.00 to make and make the room smell great!

pamnock wrote:
Washing the butt area with fresh smelling dishsoap helps to deter flies. There are a number of different species. Some are smaller maggots that just feed on the fecal material - others eat the flesh.

Pam

Try the dishsoap. :)

Celestial Wind wrote:
I absolutly HATE flies so here is a sure thing recipe to keep them away I use it personally.

1 Gallon water

2 Cups Vinegar

2 Cups Mouthwash (Any band will do but I use original listerine)

It runs off fleas & and flies I spray down the whole rabbit room walls floor (my floor is dirt) it also is good for fungus. and cost about $6.00 to make and make the room smell great!

I have water! And I have some leftover mouthwash from when I got my lip pierced. I was told I had to use the plain uncolored or flavored mouthwash so that's what I buoght and it looks like pee and it tastes like pee and I'd be ever so happy ot get rid of it.

Does it work on horses?

Yes it works great on Horses and clears up and Fungus they have also I heard someones horse having Fungus on there face and it cleared it up after a few weeks 100%

Let me get this right. You put the vinegar/Listerine solution right on the affected area, or do you just use it to spray down their living area?

Quote: You put the vinegar/Listerine solution right on the affected area, or do you just use it to spray down their living area?

I belive she put it right on the affected area lightly and also the living area...we are talking about a horse right? It also has a gallon of water mixed in it also.

Back