Fluctuating Weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
I was hoping not to have to post this but anyway...

As you all know I lost Ashton some days ago to and I have no clue wha happened. I have noticed in the past month and a half though that all my buns have been losing weight. At first, I thought it had to do with shedding and thought they felt slimmer due to having lighter fur but that is not the case. I had taken the girls in for their syphillis and though underweight, the vet didn't feel it was dangerous.Lately, they have become really thin, enough so, that I could feel every bone in their body :(I have been putting ample amounts of hay, veggies (i've been getting some left and right), some fruit a few times a week, and their pellets. I have also added the probiotics I had on hand as I feared bouts of stasis, diarrhea,etc. They have been eating, so it's not that they got off their feed or anything. They are all putting weight on now but it really has me questionning what the heck is/was going on. I can't feel the bones as much as before so hopefully it will keep getting better... I just would like ideas in case they don't maintain their weight.

Please, I know I should run to the vet, but right now circumstances are preventing me from doing that as fast as I wished. I am hoping to settle things and be ready to take them in asap if needed, so please don't bash me,I am trying my best :(

No bashing here...I've asked the infirmary mods to make sure they see this thread....

Hepatic coccidiosis is a possibility. If this is the case, veterinary care is needed as soon as possible. Don't mess around with it.

Best of luck to you and your buns. :rose:

I don't really know anythign that could help, but I wanted to say :pray:for you and your bunnies, and I know howit feels to not be able to get them to the vet when you want to.

:hug:

Hmmm

I been reading up on hepatic coccidiosis and it says that treatment would only be effective within 5-6 days of infection. They have been losing their weight gradually for weeks now, though they are putting it back on at this point.

There has also been no loss of interest in food, nor any soft stools at all. Only Bam-Bam was eating less but everyone else has been eating plenty, and Bam-Bam is ok now as well.

How much hay are they supposed to be eating per day? Maybe they haven't been eating enough? :?

I just wanted to thank everyone. I have gotten some good advice and it seems to be more of a food issue at this point. I am keeping an eye out but hopefully it will all be resolved soon.

Latest posts

Back