Flopped ear after fur mite attack

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooky

Reaction score
Hi,

My baby bunnies got fur mites which i treated with ivermectine for about 3 weeks. They seem to be fine now as their fur is growing back well etc. BUT about 3 bunnies ears flopped down when they were sick - i am guessing from the weight of the crusty build up on their ears. But their ears are still flopped down at at odd angle. I thought the ears should have come back to normal now.

What should i do? Can i do anything? or will my buns look like that forever :?

They are only about 8 weeks now.

Any advice will be great. I wanted to sell these bunnies. They are very cute otherwise.

Pri.

They may have inner ear infections not visible by just looking at them .
can you see anything abnormal in the external ear
They should be seen by a rabbit knowledgeable vet.

I have heard of floppy ears being an indicator of an ongoing fur mite attack. The mites may still be there, especially if they are present in the environment that they live in and are still getting reinfected that way. It is also possible that they are just lopping due to their age. It can also be a sign of ear infections. I think a vet should see them, since the treatment you've been doing either hasn't worked or something else is going on.

thanks for the advice.

I haven;t been able to find a rabbit savy vet in trinidad. :(

I do have a vet though so i will see what she thinks.

I am not seeing any discharge or anything in the ear. and all the fur has grown back and all the crusty stuff has dropped off. so i thought the fur mites were gone. I will have to take a look again to make sure.

Thanks again.

Back