Floor too slippery?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justadae

Reaction score
Hi there.. I'm a brand new bunny caretaker. I opted to go with a NIC cage and now I have one question. I put in a shelf and am making a half shelf to help my rabbit get to the first shelf as he has yet to try it out. Both shelves are somewhat textured so his feet won't slip but the bottom of his cage is just smooth vinyl flooring. I don't want him to slip as he hops down so what is a good solution for this?

I worry about the same, but I added a ramp instead of just shelves this time. Going to be using these pretty big grass mats my local vet has...thinking of putting some every where...shelves, ramp, floor..

Perhaps you could find something like the grass mats to help....

:ponder:

If your bunny is not a chewer, you can get a small rug with a slip-resistant back to place on the floor under the step. I do this with my cages, as all my bunnies have slippage issues.
You can generally find very inexpensive "kitchen rugs" that do the trick. I like the ones that don't have a loop to them, they just look printed.

I don't like grass mats for this use; since they don't have a slip-resistant back, they will slide around a lot when the bunny jumps on or off of them, which could cause an injury if it throws them off balance. I do like grass mats in a confined area (like a hide box) to provide more traction, but not where they can slip around.

If your bunnies chew and eat rugs, it might be more difficult to find something.

i have used a horse stall mat i purchased at tractor supply. it cost 39.00 and is 4x6 and easy to cut to size it is made out of recyled car tires and its is very easy clean and the bunnys cannot chew it.

All right, I went to the local hardware store and picked up a dragon grass mat. Zip tied it to the side of the NIC cage I built and it was great.. until he decided to use it as his new litter box. Well, took that out right away! Now he's not even using his litter box anymore, just going wherever he pleases. Ugh. I guess I'll just do a deep clean of the vinyl with vinegar/peroxide and try to find a rug as suggested by Beth.

Thank you both for the suggestions though! If the rug doesn't work out I'll head over to the horse supplies store and look for something there.

Back