Fleas!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shainabee

Reaction score
I went and picked up a little male french lop today who I named Clyde, he is only 6 weeks old. When I got him home I noticed he had fleas so I ran to the store and bought a flea comb and flea combed him for about an hour until I couldn't find anymore fleas.

They were all on his head and no where else on his body - where I found all of the fleas, he had no hair. I figured it was because he scratched so bad there the hair fell out because his fur is thick and full every else on his body except where I found fleas and flea poop / eggs.

Please let me know if what I figure it correct, or wrong.
I know when fleas bite me, I scratched myself raw haha - I figured the same thing for him, only he scratched his hair out instead.

IMG00102.jpg

IMG00101.jpg

one word,.advantage,.reading the label is a must,..he is very young,purchase according to weight,..the product does what it says,.the only product i have found to date that works,..being so small,.place one drop behind head/on neck,..sincerely james waller

I am sure I got all the fleas off, I did it for an hour and a half last night, and 2 hours this morning before work. I found no fleas this morning, but I still searched everywhere.

I am concerned about the loss of the hair where the fleas / their eggs and poop were. Was this from his scratching or is the hair loss something else?

james waller wrote:
one word,.advantage,.reading the label is a must,..he is very young,purchase according to weight,..the product does what it says,.the only product i have found to date that works,..being so small,.place one drop behind head/on neck,..sincerely james waller

I don't think I can use that. I lost a dog once to poisioning of advantage and I refuse to use it and I push everyone who uses it away from it.

Shaina, here's a thread I started, it was actually to address worming, but this product is also listed for fleas, ticks, etc.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=46933&forum_id=48

Food grade DE is non-toxic, and can be rubbed into the fur.
The only caution is to not get it in their eyes or nasal passages, as it is drying.
Might be worth looking at - it can also be sprinkled in bedding, around cages, baseboards, etc.
Unless there's other problems, I'd say the hair-loss on the ears is a result of his scratching.

Hi,

Rabbits are subject to some issues when treating parasites like this. Frontline should never, under any circumstance, be used on a rabbit.....likewise for the cheap junk at pet stores. Advantage has been used but there have been some serious side effects in some rabbits. Some still use Ivermectin but there are some potential issues with that drug too....but it's rare. My preferred flea/skin parasite treatment is Revolution. It is expensive and only available by prescription. Never had any problems as far as side effects. I have also used a new drug called Capstar. Works orally or by topical (by crushing pill into water and spraying on) and can be used as a suppository. We have used plain old yellow Listerine with both wild rabbits and squirrels....saturate a cloth and wipe them down...wet but not dripping. And an excellent product is Adams Flea and Tick Spray...it's water based. The thing is not so much the fleas you removed...but the eggs they left behind that will hatch.

Randy

anneq wrote:
Shaina, here's a thread I started, it was actually to address worming, but this product is also listed for fleas, ticks, etc.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=46933&forum_id=48

Food grade DE is non-toxic, and can be rubbed into the fur.
The only caution is to not get it in their eyes or nasal passages, as it is drying.
Might be worth looking at - it can also be sprinkled in bedding, around cages, baseboards, etc.
Unless there's other problems, I'd say the hair-loss on the ears is a result of his scratching.

That is very helpful.
Where could I get that from?
local? or do I have to order it online?

I am going to continue flea combing first and see if his hair grows back, or gets worse in which case Clyde will go to the vet because it would probably be mites.

His ears are actually normal and not missing hair - it is right in the middle of his head and nape of his neck where the hair is not at - it was a little flaky this morning in one little spot.

Is there anything I can put on the area to maybe stop the itching left over from the fleas? Like how when humans get bit we might use rubbing alcohol to stop the itch.

ra7751 wrote:
Hi,

Rabbits are subject to some issues when treating parasites like this. Frontline should never, under any circumstance, be used on a rabbit.....likewise for the cheap junk at pet stores. Advantage has been used but there have been some serious side effects in some rabbits. Some still use Ivermectin but there are some potential issues with that drug too....but it's rare. My preferred flea/skin parasite treatment is Revolution. It is expensive and only available by prescription. Never had any problems as far as side effects. I have also used a new drug called Capstar. Works orally or by topical (by crushing pill into water and spraying on) and can be used as a suppository. We have used plain old yellow Listerine with both wild rabbits and squirrels....saturate a cloth and wipe them down...wet but not dripping. And an excellent product is Adams Flea and Tick Spray...it's water based. The thing is not so much the fleas you removed...but the eggs they left behind that will hatch.

Randy

Well, I got a lot of eggs out as well and if they were too little for the comb, I pulled them out with my hands and threw them in the water with the fleas.

Listerine? like, the mouth wash?

Yep....Listerine the mouth wash....original form. Nothing likes that nasty stuff. And for all the eggs you removed, there are thousands more....in all body orifices. We see flea and fly eggs on a lot of wildlife. That is why Revolution is so effective.

I found adams flea and tick spray at target and it said not to even use it on kittens or puppies under 12 weeks old.

Clyde is only 6 weeks old.

Remembering there is risk in any treatment, I have used Revolution, Capstar and Adam's on baby cottontails as well as squirrels, opossums and birds. And if you compare the risks of these products to the potential problems of Ivermectin that many use across the board....they are even safer. I have never had a problem with any of them when dosed correctly. As far as the Adam's, I only use the water based version. While I have never had any negative reactions at any age or any speciesto any of these products...there is always a risk. Also keep in mind that the label is covering their hind ends....and that none of these products have ever been clinically tested on rabbits. Use of these products with rabbits is considered "off label"...as are all drugs used on rabbits. While I would suggest a discussion with your vet, I have no problem using these products on any rabbit. This is one of those issues that is "on the fence" in which you are to weigh the potential problems against the potential benefits.

And to clarify the Adam's thing....they have several versions. I use the water based version only and have done animals only a few weeks old and at weights as low as 30g.

The decision is ultimately yours either alone or in consultation with a vet...which I suggest. If there is an adverse reaction to any drug, it is better to be in a clinic.

Randy

I have used Revolution on my bunnies when I moved to find out the moving blankets had fleas on them. I don't have carpet and went to the vet before they were infected and then bought a few bottles of the Natural Chemistry DeFlea spray for my couch and remanent rugs and it killed them all. It was horrible just moving but my cat and bunnies were fine. You can't get Revolution over the counter it has to be from the vet. It's worth the money and he can give you the correct dosage for your bunny.

yeh best to go the vet especially since the bun's skin is so irritated from the fleas. I have used Revolution multiply times onADULT shelter rabbits without incident. I'm sure dosing is important with a young bun.

Thanks so much Randy ! :D

Back