Flaky/crusted skin.... do we need to go to the vet????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmerfalen

Reaction score

Hi...

I need some advice, I don't know if this issue is serious enough... where I have to take Dopey into the vet. I noticed today that he has a patch of dry flaky/crusted skin, the size of a penny (a little bigger though), behind his neck. It looks and flakes off like dandruff, but there are some small clumps. I also think he's loosing some hair where the flakes are. He doesn't scratch the area where it is. This has never happened to him before.

What is this? Is it a serious problem? Should I ignore it? Or do I take him into the vet? Is there anything I can do to help get rid of it?

Here is some information on Dopey. He is a male mini lop, about 2 1/2 years old. He's an indoor rabbit and weighs about 3.17 lbs. He eats unlimited timothy hay, eats pellets, has a cup of fresh veggies a night, and has a few treats a day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... Dopey and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts :pray:

It sounds as if he could have fur mites which is a common problem in rabbits. You should take him to a rabbit knowledgeable vet. The vet most likely will take a little scraping off the crusty area, put it on a slide and look at it under a microscope; sometimes (but not always the little mites can be seen.)

It also could beanother parasite or even ringworm (I doubt that)

Mites are often treated with topical Revolution or ivermectin injections.
He should be fine but he should see a vet.
Good Luck :)

It sounds more like a fungal infection to me. I would go to the vet and have them take a look at it. They can give the correct medication depending on whether it is fungal or a fur mite.

If you are in an area where vet care is not good and you're comfortable trying home treatment, we can help with that, but a vet will be the quickest way to a correct diagnosis and treatment.

Bebe had the same symptoms three weeks ago as you described for Dopey. There was a spot on the back of her neck that had scabbedand flaky with dandruff. I gave her an ivermectin injection, and applied some of it topically. However, Bebe had an reaction to the ivermectin, and she stopped eating for several days. I suspect the ivermectin was outdated, but there could of been other factors that stressed Bebe not to eat.

She is fine now, eating and pooping. The scab is gone as her skin is soft and smooth, and the hair is growing back.She still have some flakes around some dry skin,so I am thinking oftaking Bebe in for a vet check and possibly getting a Revolution prescription as a second treatment.

Be sure to have the vet check Dopey all over to see if there are any other spots that may be affecting him.

Latest posts

Back