First time rabbit owner - Question about breed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica Galbreath

Reaction score
Meet Bean the Bunny! We rescued him from the shelter about 3 months ago. They fixed him but on his paperwork it didn't state his breed or his age 😕 We took him to the vet for an overall checkup and to get groomed because he was full of matting. They said they think that he's an Angora and about 1 years old. All of the pictures I found of Angora rabbits have much different ears than Bean does. So I was wondering if you could help me out and let me know what you think!

Here's a grooming before and after pic and another one that shows his ears better.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to being a part of this group!

Attachments

• 20240421_210035.jpg
    20240421_210035.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240311_123056.jpg
    20240311_123056.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240314_161202.jpg
    20240314_161202.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240322_171935.jpg
    20240322_171935.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Meet Bean the Bunny! We rescued him from the shelter about 3 months ago. They fixed him but on his paperwork it didn't state his breed or his age 😕 We took him to the vet for an overall checkup and to get groomed because he was full of matting. They said they think that he's an Angora and about 1 years old. All of the pictures I found of Angora rabbits have much different ears than Bean does. So I was wondering if you could help me out and let me know what you think!

Here's a grooming before and after pic and another one that shows his ears better.

Your rabbit is very unique. Beautiful too. Unfortunately, I cannot provide the answer you look for but I know that angora rabbits can have floppy ears. I look forward to knowing what type of breed he is if someone figures it out. How is it having your rabbit? You’ll love this website there a lot of long time rabbit owners that will help you out the best they can. Lifesavers!

Usually with a rabbit of unknown origins, it's considered a mixed breed because there's no way to determine any particular breed. Unless there are pretty distinct breed traits. Like your rabbit has. There aren't many long coated lop ear breeds, so that narrows it down significantly and can help pinpoint a particular breed.

If you're in the US, American fuzzy lop would be the most likely breed, but your rabbit doesn't match the breed traits precisely. The closest match I can see is to the Teddywidder breed. Though I'm no expert on breeds, and this is just my best guess from what I do know.

https://rabbitpros.com/teddywidder-rabbit-breed/

Understand, this would be fairly unusual considering how extremely rare of a breed it is, especially if you are located in the US. If you're in Europe, I think it's still a fairly rare breed there as well, unless you're in Germany where the breed originates. So anywhere else but Germany, it would be a less common breed, but though it would be unusual to come across a rabbit like this in a shelter, it's obviously not completely impossible.

I presume the shelter would have gone over this with you, but in case they didn't, I figure I should bring up the importance of regular grooming with long coated breeds. So regular brushing or blowing out the coat, and trimming when necessary (particularly in summer if your rabbit will be kept anywhere that could result in overheating), will help prevent that fur getting matted up. Which can happen fairly quickly if not kept right on top of with the grooming.

You've got a good start with a fresh trim, now just to keep up the grooming as it starts growing out. If you do opt for regular trims, if not going to your experienced rabbit vet for it, just be aware that rabbit skin can be very delicate, and so the proper precautions need to be taken to prevent damaging the skin. Even when just brushing with too harsh of a comb, it can rip the skin if not being very careful. If in doubt, just consult with your vet, if an experienced rabbit vet.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Angora_and_other_long-haired_rabbits

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Hot_weather_concerns

Though a long coated breed can be more of a challenge, it is doable and just takes practice getting the whole grooming thing down. I'm not sure what other active members here have a long coated breed, but feel free to post any questions you have, and hopefully someone will be able to help with the answer.

Your bun is absolutely adorable 😍
Welcome to the forum!

Welcome and what a little cutie. I’m sure he will be lots of work but well worth the effort!!👍👍🥰🐇🐇

Thankfully Bean is out of the shelter and is already neutered. In all the years I volunteered at the local shelter so many came in with little information.
I am grateful you got connected with a rabbit-savvy DVM and Bean the Bunny's fur matting was addressed.

Very Adorable is an alternate breed title for Bean the Bunny.

Thanks so much for the replies! He definitely looks like a Teddy widder bunny! We also have a hamster so now we have a Teddy bear hamster and a Teddy widder bunny ☺️

We live in the Pacific Northwest so I'm intrigued as to how he ended up at our local shelter! He must have been an expensive bunny and it's horrible to think of someone abandoning him 😣 I'm so glad we went that day and found him.

He is a super affectionate little guy! He is officially my 12yr old daughters bunny but I'm a very involved "Grandmother" 😆 She has been brushing him daily as to keep his matting down.

Is regular grooming at the vet recommended? Or if we keep up on the brushing is that OK? I just keep thinking about how long his fur was when we got him and if it wasn't matted it would have been even longer! I'm wondering if grooming twice a year or so is the best way to go. It was pretty expensive but we want him to be as comfortable as he can be.

Our summers have been heating up recently, with temperatures reaching over 100° but he is kept indoors and we have air conditioning so hopefully there won't be any issues there.

We are excited to learn more about Teddy widders now that we know that's probably what breed he is! And we are also very proud to own such a unique and rare breed! He is the cutest thing I've ever seen and I'm happy we can give him a good home ❤️

Thanks again for all of the info and the warm welcome!

Maybe a bit of Lionhead?
Such beautiful markings.
I too am a first time bunny owner.
I am enthralled, captivated and have learned SO much.

Welcome to the group.
From Manitoba Canada

This is Peety.
Told he was a mini rex but after imput from this group, we think he is mini rex, Netherland Dwarf and Lionhead.

Attachments

• 20240407_174615.jpg
    20240407_174615.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back