first time breeder question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jil101ca

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a new rabbit owner living in Northbay, Ont.I have done extensive research over the last few months and am raising rabbits for our own use. I have a large black buck breed unknown and aorange? flemish doe. Anyway, my question is... when I put the doe in with the buck she races around the cage with him chasing her. I have been over all my info and have found nothing on this. ThepersonI bought her from said she was 8 mths old but she seems a little small to me. Could it be she is younger than that and not ready to breed to yet.They did not breed asI was afraid that one of them could be hurt soI removed her from the cage.

Hi! Everyone welcomes someone who's done research! This is a multi-purpose board, so you shouldn't have a problem.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like she's not ready to mate. Sometimes it takes up to 9 months for the larger breeds for breeding. Again, someone can chirp in and correct me, but maybe wait a month or so and try breeding her again? Also, if you feel she's a bit on the small side, you can always wait for a bit. You could also try breeding her in a couple ofdays to see if she takes.

Is the doe bigger than the buck?

Welcome to the forum! :)

Due to the possibility of injury, I don't let the does run the cage -- I supervise to prevent injuries and stop the doe from running by placing my hand over her head. If she is receptive, she'll lift her tail. If not -- she'll tuck her tail down.

The appearance of the vulva can also indicate receptiveness to breeding. Pale and dry = not receptive. Dark purple = past receptive period. Pink and moist = receptive.

Does are generally receptive except for a few days a month. It is recommended to try breeding daily and generally, I've found, the doe will breed by the third day. Do not wait a month -- the longer breeding is put off at her age, the more fat builds up around her reproductive organs making it harder for her to conceive.

Larger bucks can be safely bred to smaller does, although I would not breed a Flemish Giant buck to a Netherland Dwarf doe :shock:

Pam

SHe is a bit bigger than he is but he is a very large rabbit.I choose him because I want to try to get a large rabbit with a bit smaller bones than the flemish. I am also hoping for a tortois(sp?)(orange & black) colour. I'll check her vulva for colour and moistureand try again.I read about fat growing around her orvaries andwant to preventthat. The doe running really startled me, I even checked her again just to sure she wasn't another buck. thanks for the info.This site is awsome and i really love the fact that it is multi- functioning

Latest posts

Back