Finally finished my Bennie Hutch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imsarah

Reaction score
I took about 12 trips to home depot over the past three days because I had no idea what I was doing but I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.

Heres the frame this morning after I figured out how I was going to do the den area. I know he'll be chewing on the wood so I wanted to be sure to cover the actual frame of the hutch so it wouldnt fall apart one day should he chew through a beam or something. So I built extra frame edges around his den to allow him to redecorate as he chose without destroying my work.

Benniehutch1.jpg

Here he is exploring my work and making sure everything is to his satisfaction

securedownload.jpg

Hes decided its alright for now.

benniehutch.jpg

Thank you, I was pleased with that too. It was a last minute fix because the door wouldnt close when I put plywood on the frame. I only measured space for the frame not realizing that it would be thicker once I put the plywood on so I used the remaining lumber to just make the door solid rather than completely redoing the whole thing.

It's tons better than our super ghetto cage for Popcorn & Butters. XD But that was like 8 foot by three foot so it was quite difficult to make nicely for clueless carpenters.

Though, I must ask what kind of breed Bennie is, and how old; he looks like a young New Zealand White.

I built a very basic hutch like 10 years ago for a woman my mom worked with. My brother found a rabbit on the front lawn of their apartments and we were trying to find it a home because they had no place to keep it. A woman my mom worked with agreed to take the rabbit when I told her I'd build her something to keep him in. So I built her a basic 4x4 enclosure of mesh with a wooden roof. No den, just legs and a roof.

I'm not sure what breed Bennie is. He's got a bit of sandy colored fur on his nose and his ears are slightly more sandy colored than the rest of him. I was looking through the different breeds and the closest conclusion I could come to was that he's a Californian mutt. He's only 5mos according to the shelter and he weighs 5lbs.

Back