fibreplex gut medicine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hailiejade

Reaction score
i took my rabbit bailey for a check up after losing my beloved tyler to a suspected gut problem despite bailey being well other than having slightly soft stools today the vet has given him a gut stimulating injection which i thought were a no no with bunnies ,an anti-biotic injection and given me fibreplex and baytril to administer to him , she wanted to keep him in for the day and over night to put him on a drip , despite him being well and not de-hydrated as a precaution because of my other rabbits history but i said id rather take him home and didnt see why he would need a drip when he doesnt have diarreha and isnt de-hydrated , she didnt say that there was anything wrong with him at all to warrant all this treatment so bit worried all this will make him worse , i was worried he may have a cold or flu as he has been sneezing but asfar as she told me is fine and this is all down to his cecotophes being a bit strange this morning and because of what happened to tyler

Well Randy won't be happy to hear Bailey got a gut motility drug.

Did the vet examine his feces under a microscope?

It honestly sounds likea lot of treatment to me, but I'm not a vet. I think keeping him calm, soothedand entertained at this point will help more than anything.

Ican't say don't give him the drugs, I'll leave that to a more experienced member.

I believe the Fibreplex is the same as Critical Care, it should be goodfor a soft cecal issue, he needs a lot of fiber, but if he's eating lots of hay and his normal diet on his own, probably not crucial.

Is he eating and pooping normally other than the soft cecals?

sas :?

Protexin Fibreplex for Rabbits and Small Pets[/b]
Fibreplex[/b] has been designed as a high fibre oral paste comining the benefits of probiotics and prebiotics.Fibreplex[/b] encourages normal gut function is carrot flavoured, highly palatable and easy to administer.

This actually looks pretty good, I'd give it to him anyway, ESPECIALLY if he's had antibiotics.

sas

other than a bit of soft cecal he is fine and has no other issues , he has normal round hard droppings other than this and a bit baffled why all the treatment especially as she didnt diagnose anything wrong with him it all seemed as a precautionary as tyler was ill but im sure tyler had a long term ongoing underlying issue that caused gi problem quite possibly a molar issue as he had lost fur on his chin and have heard that can be a symptom , no diagnostic tests were carried out , all she did was examine his eyes bottom and feel his tummy , hes eating and having water , i literally only too him 4 a chec up 2 rule out any problems incase it wasnt stasis/ileus that caused tys death. and as he had been sneezing

Umm...Randy + gut motility drugs=:censored2:. Never with my rabbits.

I would be interested to know what the injection was. And Baytril (given orally) will affect the cecals. Not a huge fan of Baytril, but in the rare cases I use it...it is injected. Works better. Also, most vets make a suspended concoction from the taste tabs that is really nasty...liver flavored.It would be a horrible brown color.If it is given orally, it is much better to use the injectable version and flavor it as it is very bitter....and use that as an oral drug. Another issue with using the tabs is that the dosing depends on how it was compounded....so the next time you would get something like that might be a totally different amount given. The injectable version, if used uncut, can always be calulated as 22.7mg/ml....and the concentration info is vital in knowing how much to give. That is why you should never listen to the dosing of what others have used. If a vet has compounded the drug in house....the concentration of the active drug will likely be much different. Just a little slightly OT info on drugs.

Randy

she didnt say what the injection was just told me she had given him a gut stimulating injection which i wasnt best pleased about , the baytril ive been given is clear coloured and hav been told to dilute 0.4 mls with 4 part water and give orally

Umm....gut motility drugs just terrify me. They are scary when used in a rabbit.

If the Baytril is clear, it is most likely the injectable version. If you are using .4ml cut by 4 parts water....that isn't enough drug to do anything. How much does your rabbit weigh? And do you know exactly what your vet is going after by using the Baytril? Just curiosity on my part here.

Randy

not really sure not my usual vet she didnt diAgnose anything wrong with him i imagine it was just to get me to spend money rather than there was a problem she wanted 2 have him all day and over night but i refused as she couldnt diagnose anything wrong with him she said she wanted 2 put him on a drip but she told\me he wasnt dehydrated and he was eating an drining as normal so i said i wanted him to come home with me it sounded as though was All precautionary as tyler had died from suspected gut problem

Latest posts

Back