feeling really dumb

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnightsmom

Reaction score
I am learning so much here, I have been readingthrough some of the posts, ok well actually alot of theposts. I had no clue there was so much to learn aboutrabbits. I am sooooo new at all of this. Thank you too all ofyou. So I was reading through one of the posts and someonehad said that it only takes a second for a buck to inpregnate a doe.Wish I had known this sooner, lol. Like I said in my firstpost I had no clue of the sexes of my rabbits until I noticed that myolder rabbit had male parts, and also had no clue that female rabbitscould get pregnant so young. The only things I have noticedwith midnight is that she is eating alot and drinking so much, I haveto refill her water bottle 2 times a day. I am really goingto watch her for awhile, her belly is getting a little bigger, but Ijust asumed it was because she was getting older, I wish I knew how oldshe was. I have not noticed any marbles in her belly yet, sowith any luck maybe I am just a worry wort. Can the femaleget pregnant if the male doesnt insert,, (I am trying to use my wordswisely), when he tries to mount her she doesnt really stay still forall that long, she gets away most of the time, except the once, andthat was because he had a hold of her by the back of herneck... I am really sorry about all these questionsbut I would love to hear what some of youthink...................

Thanks so much

Midnighsmom

Midnight's Mom,

Don't feel stupid at all. We've all been where you are and we're stilllearning ourselves. We don't have all the answers, but we do our bestto share what we do know. We're at all different levels of learning andyou will teach us as well.

We had a poster here who left the male in with the female during thenight she was pregnant. Low and behold, she became pregnant again thenight she had the litter.

Another case I've heard of a rabbit becoming pregnant while the buckwas in a cage next to hers. They actually bred through the cages duringa fair. :shock:

Blink and you'll miss it.

-Carolyn

P.S. The act of breeding makes them become pregnant.

Like Carolyn said dont feel stupid at all! Mysister Vickie(DaisyNBuster on here) whose Doe gave birth to anotherlitter when she still had one of four week olds, didnt know she had amale and a female.

Ditto with me now!! Just found out that my 14 week olds, Kovu (newlychanged name!)and Vitani who are from Vickie's first litter,are a male and a female. They should have been mature for about 2 weeksnow so I dont know if Vitani could be pregnant or not!

Thank you so much, I still am a little confusedabout the mating habits, is it like us and other animals, not having tohave actual insertain just on the outside, if you know what Imean? The reason I ask this is one time after finally gettingher away from him, her backend was wet, now I know they havent actuallybeen "together" for any period of time, I guess what I am asking iscould she get pregnant without any acutal penitration?

The answer would be no, but I think what everyoneis trying to point out is that it is highly likely you have missed thepenetration because it happens so quickly and fleetingly.We're not talking a lot of fore play, here.

More often than not, it would appear, given a situation such as youhave described, does usually end up pregnant. Sincerely hopethat is not the case in this instance, but keep a close eye on her forgestation is only about a month, give or take a day or two.

Agree with Carolyn and QTBunnies. Please do not feel stupidasking questions. We all get the opportunity to learnsomething when replies are posted.

Buck

Thank you so much Buck for your advise I now know what is going on,,, I think.....lol.

ok so just so I know, what kind of thing could I use for a nesting box, and where would I get the hay, just in case?

There are times when the "deed" takes place inthe wrong area -- hence the explaination for a wet spot on theback. We have it happen occasionally with bucks who are alittle overly excited.

Pam

If I may, Buck?

Hi midnightsmom,

You can use 3/4 inch lumber or buy a metal box. Some folks use heavy duty box like one that apples or oranges come in.

It should be somewhere in the vicinity of 18" L x 10" W x 10" H, unless your rabbit is a Giant breed of rabbit.

It's recommended not to use cardboard boxes unless you have some sortof liner because rabbits will chew the cardboard and the cardboardboxes alone can tip over.

Whatever you choose, make sure there's good air flow through it.

The doe will take the hay she's eating and make a nest near the end of her pregnancy.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Pam you are so right, he is very excited,, hestarts breathing heavy and panting, he ends up flopping himself on thefloor, for a few minutes and tries again after he catches hisbreath...............lol

Thank you Caroline for the great advise, I am really hoping that she isnot pregnant, but if she is at least I know what to do know

I love this place, I am so glad to be appart of it

Hi Midnightsmom,

I may have I missedthis suggestionin the thread ifso I apologize, you don't need a newbie like me to reiterate somethinga pro's already said! :D

While you're waiting for the gestation period, maybe you could get yourmale fixed, that way once she has babies, or doesn't have babies, theycan be together again. I read that after the males are neutered theycan still impregnate a female for some specifiedperiod oftime, I don't know what that time period is... I may also be wrong, butas a precaution you should find out from someone experienced if youchose to go that route.

Good luck how ever it turns out. It would be exciting to have babies, even if it were unintentional!

Megan

Thank you meganc, I have already called aroundfor some prices on getting him fixed, and to my surprise it isnt allthat expensivel. I do plan on having him fixed in the verynear future. I have the 2 of them in seperate cages, and whenthey come out and play there are watched like hawks, if I notice himgetting too excited and trying to do the "deed", I put them back intheir cages. It would be a little exciting to have babies Iwas just worried that she was too young, and she isnt all that big so Iwasn't sure if it would be ok for her to have them, but seeing howrabbits can get pregnant at 12 weeks, I know she is older then that.

Hi midnights mom, I am in the same situation youare in. I adopted my rabbits at the begining of JUne. I had no cluewhat i was doing. And of course i had them in the same cage. I finallygot two seperate cages for them just so they would have more room.After awhile about 2 1/2 weeks, i noticed she was getting a littlefatter. And her attiude changed big time. I would let both of them outto play together and she was really territorial, she would growel athim and me she was really jumpy and she would bite my male rabbit. Inever thought anything of it. THen i noticed her doing other strangethings. SHe would carry as much hay in her mouth as she could, run into her box, put it in there come back out and get more. And if youtouched her belly, her nipples were getting really big. I read on theinternet about all of these signs....it just didnt know it would happenso soon. I woke up one morning to go and clean out their cages and loand behold..for little ones on the bottom of her cage!!:DIwas so scared..I didnt know what to do! But she has done a great jobfeeding and taking care of them. THey are two weeks old today! I got mymale neutered last month.IT happeded so fast!Dontbe suprised if your little one is pregnant! IF you start noticing someof these things in a couple of weeks..let me know how many shehas!!!Good luck to you:)

hey, ive heard that the males rip decapitate thethe babys if u leave them in the cage or somthin is it true and watelse should u do with babys?

sorry i was gonna say somthing bout ripping but its a little gross so i sd decapitate and didnt delete it

The male may step on the babies if left in thesame cage and they dont help take care of them anyway.I would ask thevet how long they need seperated after surgery.our horse had to be awayfrom mares for a month.bluebird

bluebird wrote:
.Iwould ask the vet how long they need seperated after surgery.our horsehad to be away from mares for a month.bluebird

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure the male can still make the femalepregnant untill after about 6 weeks, so I would keep them seperate tillthen.

By the by, maybe being paranoid but i have a small inkling that we have a pregnant vitani...:?

Back