False Pregnancy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergi

Reaction score
Right here..."pointing finger to pa, Minnesota, US
Just wondering, my bunny Fergi seems to beexperiencing a "false pregnancy". We have not been able to get herspayed yet. It costs $207 here and we are currently at $160 in the"Fergi fund" Today I noticed she is collecting all of her hay andplacing it in her litter box. She is running around the house with hayin her mouth and she also tried to detach my pj bottoms from me. Isthis a false pregnancy? Will it harm her at all? Thanks for all of thehelp.

On another note, Bandit is still not really eating pellets. He ispooping, not as much as Fergi but still seems to be poopingeneough. Is it ok if I give him some alfalfa hay to tempt him to eat? Idon't want him to get skinny. He eats some pellets but not many at all.I give him a choice of timothy hay, oat, barley, and wheat, andrecently some alfalfa. Should I try switching pellets? Currently he ison OX BOW 15/23. I don't know what to do. Thanks again for all the help.

Has she started to pull the fur from her bellyyet? They usually do that a couple of daysbeforehand. Has she made a kind of nest?

Hi Fergi,

A false pregnancy will not hurt Fergi at all. She's just 'playing'.Probably just trying to get some extra treats since it was Mother'sDay. ;) Seriously, don't worry about it at all.

As to the food, stop feeding all else except for the pellets andTimothy Hay. Alfalfa will put on the calories. Not necessarily theanswer. OxBow is a good feed and I wouldn't switch it at this point.I'd just remove all treats for awhile until he's back on his pellets.Overfeeding treats or giving them too much of a choice to nibble andfill up on is a lovely gesture, but unfortunately, not safe/healthy forthe rabbit because it can wreak havoc on their digestive system andcause GI intestinal upset.

Some rabbits do tend to eat a bit less as Spring approaches. I wouldn'tworry too much as long as he's pooping, eating, drinking and actingnormally. Just got to give him his 'dinner' and let him eat it beforehe can have his 'chocolate cake'. Nutrition first/treats later.

:)

-Carolyn

Thanks so much Carolyn. It is a relief to knowthat Fergi will be just fine. It was kind of cute watching her stuff asmany pieces of hay into her mouth as she could and then hopping aroundlooking for more.

As for Bandit, I will do as you suggested. It does make sense. Maybe heis just a finicky eater and now he knows if he holds out I'll give him"the good stuff"

Thanks again:)

Did you try a local SPCA group to see if they cando it cheaper. Maybe I am just spoiled because our local SPCA has alocely experienced rabbit vet doing all the spay and neuters for themin resdience for 40-30 dollars and my vet charges or 200. Ihad one and I was so scared when she started ripping out her fur I ranher to the vet and spent 50 dollars to hear she was just being a littlegirl wait until she ha a fake baby. Mine had a stuffed fish she groomedand nursed for a short time

Fergi,

Rabbits definitely hold out for the good stuff!

-Carolyn

Our ASPCA is no longer doing bunnies. I think thisis due to the fact that they have been putting a majority of theirmonies into neutering the "Park Point Bunnies" I called numerous placesaround town and even a couple that are out of my way by over 100 miles.The cheapest I can get it done for is the 207.00:(At least weare more than halfway there!:DFergi has now built herself avery nice nest. It has one of my hair scrunchies in it and two piecesof rug and a lot of hay and fur. I will try giving her a stuffed toyalso, guess my little girl is playing house. I suppose it makes sensethough since we have a male bunny in the home too. He is neuteredalready thank goodness. Thanks for all the advice. I am glad to knowthat my bunny will be fine.

As for Bandit, I have been really good and not given him any treatssince starting this thread yesterday. He is no worse for wear althoughit is hard not to spoil a new bun.

Another question. I play on the floor with Bandit and sometimes when Ishake the teddy bear stuffed animal at him (it's a rattle) he puts hisears down and growls at the toy. I am assuming he does not like this.Or do rabbits play like this sometimes? Obviously I don't want to annoyhim, and from what I have read on "The Language of Lagamorphs" he mustnot like this. It is funny though and one of the few ways he interactswith me.

Thanks again,

Adrienne

*laughs* Fergi,

You should read BunnyMommy's post about being a 'treataholic'.

Nope, I don't think Mr. Bandit likes that toy, but he's probably justplaying with you as well. What a funny little mon!He'll interact with you more often. He's already training youthat he'll pay attention to you if you are willing to give himtreats. :)
It's all part of the game.

On the subject of getting Fergi fixed, ouch! That's a lot ofmoney! With a female, it's best not to cut corners and bringher to someone you trust. She'll pay you back tenfold withlove.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back