False Pregnancy - Pulling out Fur and What to do

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepSeaGoddess

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a female rabbit that I rescued from the outdoors on November 1st. She is quite wonderful and I've learned so much about rabbits from the internet and my wonderful new friend who rescues them. Anyway, I now know she is not spayed (I didn't think she was anyway) but, I 'borrowed' a male neutered rabbit from my friend in hopes of adopting him. I've been giving them bunny dates in neutral areas to bond them....which is going so-so....they're getting there. Anyway, they are in the same bedroom but the bedroom is split so that they each have their own side and can't get to the other one. Tonight I went in there and she had pulled out massive amounts of fur and made a nest under her sheet! Ok, I'm now taking the advice of my friend and going to get her spayed and let her fully recover before continuing the bonding sessions. I know it is a false pregnancy as she has not been in contact with any un-neutered males since before November 1, 2008. Anyway, my question is, what do I do? Do I pick the fur up? Will this cause her to pull out more fur? Or do I just leave it knowing that the false pregnancy will only last a few days and then pick it all up?

Thanks so much in advance!

Renea

I would leave her nest until she loses interest, which should be soon. Most false pregnancies only last a few days. Once she is no longer interested in the nest, remove it.

--Dawn

Thanks so much everybody! I had went ahead and picked the fur up and this morning, she went at it again so, this time I left it. I have an appointment with the vet today for an initial exam....they do that first before scheduling the spaying. Boy is she ever nervous in her room right now! :? Poor girl......I'll be glad to get her spayed so that she can be a happier rabbit!

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the slight change in personality. Evie is far more confident than she was...

I hope so! And update! Took her to the vet today....everything checks out ok and they will be able to spay her tomorrow! The vet I went to is VERY knowledgeable with rabbits.....

Make sure bunny gets pain medication to take home. If they don't offer, then insist. Aski about it before she goes in for surgury, when you go to pick her up, you'll probably be most concerned with taking her home and not wanting to argue over pain medication.

--Dawn

Thank you!!! I did in fact already ask about it and I will definitely insist on taking some home! She may come home tomorrow or they may keep her overnight....she said she would see how she is doing tomorrow. I'll be worried......but I believe she is in good hands!

Hey Everyone!

Just an update. Ginger, my bunny, was spayed yesterday and everything went well. They did it late in the day so, kept her overnight to make sure she was eating and pooping. I picked her up this afternoon. She seems to be doing fine....seems somewhat groggy but, she immediately drank a lot of water, then went to her litter box. I hand fed her some greens. She ate some of those. She ate some treats and a little hay. I see she has already pooped. :biggrin2: She's still just hanging out in her litter box....grooming some, resting, eating a little hay. They gave me metacam to give her for the next 2 days....she already had today's dosage.

Anyway, just wanted you to know she seems to be doing fine. I'm so glad everything went ok....was SO glad to bring her home!!!

Latest posts

Back