Eye crusties

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~*sAbRiNa*~

Reaction score
I have noticed lately that Sabrina has had little crusties in the corners of her eyes. The look almost exactly like "sleepies" that humans get in the corner of their eyes when they wake up. There is no dripping, wetness, or pussy discharge, just small white specks that slide off very easily. Any ideas?

My single bunnies get these all the time. My bonded pair cleans each others eyes, so I don't see that with them. Nothing to worry about. I usually just clean the crusties off for them.

Check the humidity in your house. Dry air will cause that. I use "cool mist" humidifiers to keep my house at proper humidity. Her eyes might feel better if you use some plain basic artificial tears to keep them lubicated. I prefer "Refresh Gel" which is thicker than the drops and stays in place longer....and that will feel good in you eyes too.

Randy

My bf says I'm obsessed with taking the eye crusties off my bunnies eyes. It's normal, but if there's a lot or a greatly increased production, you may need to see a vet. The tear ducts can get blocked if there's too much debris in the eye and lead to more "sleep".

Randy, my apartment is insanely dry so that must be it! I have a humidifier in my room but not in her area. I will start leaving it on 24/7 (right now it is only on at night) and see if that helps with the overall dryness. I will also look into the drops if I don't notice a difference after a few days.

Claire, I will keep an eye on them but I don't notice myself taking them off more than 1-2 times a day.

THANKS!

tonyshuman wrote:
My bf says I'm obsessed with taking the eye crusties off my bunnies eyes. It's normal, but if there's a lot or a greatly increased production, you may need to see a vet. The tear ducts can get blocked if there's too much debris in the eye and lead to more "sleep".
like claire says.-tear duct entrance blockage.//.keep an eye on the fur infront of the eyes--if wet,,teeth may be becoming a factor//-more hay, more water,,if wetness doesnot clear up,,dvm,facial radiographs,antibiotics for eyes and infection.//.everything starts in the mouth,,not enough chewing (hay)-leads to serious complications,,including impacting the gi tract,,,offer probiotics (benebac)when administering oral antibiotics..sincerely james waller:wave::rose:

Latest posts

Back