ethical question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamgal042

Reaction score
i may have the opportunity in the nearfuture to get a second bunny. this would be a norweigian (?) dwarf,black male rabbit. ivory's a male as well, so i guess my first questionis would that be much of a problem? (two males). i cant rememberexactly how the chart went, but i think it said two males usually dontget along that well. my second question is, if i do get this secondrabbit, would the fact that Ivory's at least twice the size make adifference? if they get along, could i put them in the same cage?Ivory's cage would be more than big enough to house two rabbits,especially a small one. one thing that might make a difference is that,when i first saw ivory in the pet store, there were 2 bunnies in hiscage, so he was at one point living with a "roomate".

my other question, and its kind of important, is im a sophmore in highschool. currently, my dad is undecided on whether or not he'll takecare of my animals when i go off to college, or whetheri needto get rid of them. should that affect my decision? that the bunny willonly be here for 2.5 years, then have to move again? the reason therabbit may become available to me is because its my friend's sister'srabbit, and i guess the deal is that her sister gave my friend therabbit, but her sister takes care of it, or vice versa. but i thinksomething happened that they may not be able to care for the rabbitanymore. i dont know exactly what happened....*shrug* she told me herbunny bit her, and im like '*gasp* mine too!' so we were talking aboutour bunnies, and she's like 'you want mine?' and im like 'well....ialready have one..' so she said '..you want mine?' and we were talkingabout it.

Greetings!

Our first bunnie was a gift for my daughter from her boyfriend on her16th birthday. There is no question about whether or not I will takecare of him if she goes away to college. Of course I will.

Ours all have their own cages. The other 4 bunnies I have are allfemales, so I really can't give you any advice on 2 males gettingalong. From what I've learned it could be a problem. I would plan onthe worst scenario and expect to have separate cages.

IMO.....owning a bunnie is a long term commitment. Bottom line. No options.

-Jim

Bonding 2 intact males can be nearly impossible(but there is a very, very, VERY small chance it may work. Female/malepairs work the best, then female/female pairs, and lastly male/malebondings.

My boys are both fixed and had to be separated permanently so it maynever work out for you. Theonly serious problem i could see with onebeing smaller is it's more likely to get hurt in a fight.

It's unlikely that they will be able to share a cage because males arevery territorial. Unless you're willing to and have the means to takecare of both individually, I would not suggest it.

Latest posts

Back